first baby arrives late?

A lot of people have told me that usually your first baby comes a late. Does anyone know why that is or even if it's true? I live in Florida and it's 95 degrees so I'd like this baby out as soon as possible..comments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i think statisitcally, the average first pregnancy is 41w1d, so some will go sooner, some later. even if you tty the walking, sex, and everything else, it wont work until your body and baby are ready.

i think 1st pregnaancies are typicaly longer than later ones bc your body kinda knows what to do, and prepares faster the 2nd or 3rd time around. but that certainly doesnt mean that you wont be "late" w your next one too. and you really arent late until 42 weeks anyway,

what is your EDD?
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 5:24 PM on May. 4, 2010

• more often than not, they don't come early :) I was induced at 41 weeks w/my 1st.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 5:24 PM on May. 4, 2010

• It's one of those "textbook" things...but it's not a rule. My first was eight days late...but when my mom was pregnant I was over a week early and my younger sister then came 10 days late. So it really depends on when you actually conceived, when the baby implanted, how quickly he/she develops, etc... And first babies may be later because your body has never done the whole labor thing before, so it takes more time to get itself ready, the hormones to take effect, etc...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:39 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I wwas pregnant during the summer and my daughter was five days late so yes it can happen.
    Anonymous

• Mine was 2 1/2 weeks early. I think your first may be slightly more likely to come late, but you never know what will happen with you!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:55 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My first, she was born 4 days late. My second....was born on his due date.
    Anonymous

• Erika got it right, but that differs slightly with ethnicity too. White women it is 41w6d, AA it is 40w4d, and I am not sure about others. That being said my first was 38w4d and my second was 39w2d.
    Anonymous

• my EDD is July 14th
    Anonymous

• My first child was 5 wks early. I had toxemia really bad so not sure how long he would have waited to make his appearance. But both my others were early also.
    scoenen214

Answer by scoenen214 at 10:49 PM on May. 10, 2010