Carseat question

So I keep hearing different opinions on when to turn a carseat around. My son is 11 months and 24 lbs. He is long so his legs are hitting the back of the seat. It is a convertible carseat. I know not to turn him around until he is at least a year old but then I've also heard 2 years..... So which is it?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 5:38 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most say 1 year and 20 pounds
    Anonymous

• The American Academy of Pediatrics recently changed their recommendation to a minimum of 2 years rear-facing. FYI it does not matter that his legs hit the back seat. This is a really good video that explains why to keep them rear facing longer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8&feature=related

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:44 PM on May. 4, 2010

• NEVER any sooner then 12 months AND 20 lbs. The longer the better. My recommendation is to keep your child RF to the limit of their seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:46 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Here are the new AAP guidelines: AAP News What to consider when positioning carseats for toddlers

"Toddlers should remain rear-facing in a convertible car seat until they have reached the maximum height and weight recommended for the model, or at least the age of 2."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:48 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I flipped my kids around as soon as they were 12 months and 20 pounds - my tiny middle dd didn't get to turn around til she was 18 months.

all three used to get horribly car sick when rear facing....blech.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:44 PM on May. 4, 2010

• The law in my state reads 1 and 20lbs. but i always turn them around 16 to 18 months but my kids are short and the sleep better rear facing.
    Stephie280

Answer by Stephie280 at 8:53 PM on May. 4, 2010

• The law says 1 year and 20 lbs, but the AAP says AT LEAST 2 years. Mine were both RF until about 20 months because they hit the height limit for RF on their seats. I would have kept them RF longer if I could have. My son is now 5 and still in a 5 point harness even though the law says he could have been in a high back booster at 3 years. My 3 year old is still in her 5 point harness and both will be until they reach the height/weight limit of their seats. The longer RF the SAFER. I would rather have a broken leg then a snapped neck any day!
    Anonymous

• Legal MINIMUM is 12 and 20lbs, but some carseats also say 22lbs and 34 inches so that has to be followed too.

BEST practice is to RF to the maximum of the seat, most convertibles say 35lbs maximum and between 36-50 inches tall...but really height wise can vary as long as they have an inch above their heads before the edge of the shells of the seat.

Their legs aren't as much of a concern as their necks, the spine is not solidified til closer to age 3 and in an accident a young childs neck and spine can be severely injured...most times killing them, whereas a IF the legs got injured which there are not documented cases of, if they got injured they would be easy to fix, unlike the neck and spine.

heres some info
    http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/car-seat-safety-rear-facing-is-safest.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:39 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Thanks you guys, after watching the video and stuff my son will be rearfacing until he turns 18 lol
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:01 AM on May. 5, 2010