If you gave birth in jail, would they let you use a breast pump?

I just had the craziest dream... I had stolen a Tamagotchi, ran from the cops, and got thrown in jail. The biggest thing I was worried about was my boobs getting engorged and not being able to nurse my son, who is 7 months old.

I highly doubt they'd of let me use a breastpump.
Does anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it was just a bad dream .. so relax !! y even want to know answer to this question when ure not likely to go to jail ?? weird !
    Anonymous

• OP: Lol, who cares why? I just want to know.
    Anonymous

• ha ha ha! a tamagotchi? is that one of those little key chain digital pets? rofl too funny! really that's hysterical! i have no idea if you'd have access to a breast pump in jail, but i had to tell you how funny that was!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 5:57 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Lol, I know, it was crazy! There was this huge dog-thing chasing me down and for some reason, if I'd of dropped the Tamagotchi, it would have let me go. But I didnt want to give the damned thing up O,o
    Anonymous

• Actually, I'm doing some work with a non-profit that handles this sort of thing. State by state and then county by county, the laws for pregnant and nursing women "in custody" vary. The county the non-profit is based in has a law that laboring women are required to have arm and waist shackles during child birth.

This issue is extremely important to all women. Just because you think you aren't a criminal and it will never effect you doesn't mean that you might not be the victim of false allegations, a mix up, or fraud.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:38 PM on May. 4, 2010

• It varies. My sister gave birth in jail and they had a program where some local Amish women kept the kids at night, but during the days the moms were allowed to be around their children just as if they were at home. My sister was allowed to nurse and pump at night. The women were not in for murder or anything like that (my sister was drugs) and it was like a halfway house type of setting that they spent the day with the kids in. They gave them parenting classes and all kinds of stuff. I truly believe it is what got my sister to stay off the drugs finally when she came out. This was NOT her first offense.
    Anonymous

• I am not sure, but that is a hilarious dream! HAHAHA! I think that if they do not allow it they should because it is not for the benefit of the mom who is in trouble, but for the innocent baby at home. That would be interesting to look up.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 10:34 PM on May. 4, 2010

• LMAO a Tamagotchi!!!!!!
    ChristiansMom31

Answer by ChristiansMom31 at 4:15 AM on May. 6, 2010