Working on Welfare

A guy I worked with was fired over the weekend for stealing scrap metal. I was feeling pretty bad for him and his familiy untill today. I found out that not only was he receiving food stamps, but he also lived in subsidised housing. This same man was making over $20.00 per hr. He owns his own house which he is renting out while using section 8. He asked our boss to keep his hours down under 40 so he could continue receiving his free medical. My company has excellent low cost medical insurance. I own my on home. Make apx $19.00 and have a 10 year old son I can't even quailfy for reduced school lunches. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture? I'm astounded that there are people out there that truly think that this is ok.

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 6:25 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it's ok. He should be arrested for welfare fraud.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:30 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I HATE WELFARE BUMBS!!! my DH makes $13.50 per hour. i'm a SAHM with 3 kids. we can't even get medical insurance for our kids because of jerks like this guy who abuse the system!

Anonymous

• he must of lied because we made 13 and he worked PT and we could not even get medical. I mean 20 is a decent income! Even at just 40 hours thats alot!
    Anonymous

• its ppl like this that are full of crap, and im guessing hes a citizen(it sucks ppl like this abuse their own countrys benefits)
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 6:59 PM on May. 4, 2010

• What he's doing is not OK. It's awful. The system needs to be reformed so that people like him who are cheats will be exposed and punished.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:43 PM on May. 4, 2010

• As a woman on PA I will tell you THIS IS WRONG. If I was being paid 20 an hour I surely would not be on PA and I would have my own place for sure.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:53 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I don't understand how anyone making over $20 / hr can be eligible for PA. unless they have like 10+ kids or something. Something is wrong with this. And, how can you get section 8 housing if you have a house? That rent would be income, too. There is some major lying going on.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:47 PM on May. 4, 2010

• If anyone wonders why some are down on welfare recipients, he's the poster child. I am all for helping those in need but those who cheat the system and collect when they dont deserve aggravate me
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:25 PM on May. 4, 2010

• wow thats is so wrong way to take advantage of the system
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:44 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Throw the bum in jail.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:04 PM on May. 4, 2010