Are you a bully to your children?

This was Dr. Phil's topic today. I never watched the segment, but it got me wondering if I do it sometimes.

I try not to yell at my daughter so much, but when she continues to do something that I've asked her not to twice already, that's when I get frustrated and yell at her. But I don't call her names or degrade her or anything like that. These moms DEGRADE their children, THREATEN them bodily harm, and literally PUSH them around. I couldn't do that to my daughter, no matter how much she pushes my buttons. That's just a horrible way to treat your child.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 6:40 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I used to.

but I had a friend who was a bully, to everyone around her - except her darling little princess (1 girl 2 boys)

and I saw what she did to her kids, and how her kids acted.....looked at myself and my kids and CHANGED everything I did. I never did anything mean it was just the nagging and oh come on already....

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:13 PM on May. 4, 2010

• i do not degrade my children. i do tell them what to and how to do it and if they don't yes i yell. if they keep pestering each other and don't stop even when i sperate them i will yell then too. i how ever will never put my kids down or make fun of them.
    Stephie280

Answer by Stephie280 at 8:34 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I wanted to slap that mom who was screaming at her daughter to stop crying and eat ...the little girl said she couldn't and the mom got worse! made me wonder what she does when the cameras aren't one if she is not afraid to be like that on camera and why the grandma did not step in I do not know! but man if I had been like that in front of any family member ...well it would not have gone as far as it did with this mom.
    I could never degrade my kids...that is something you can't take back!!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:33 PM on May. 4, 2010

• This is one my DH had to learn because his mother is a bully. He now knows that you can lovingly discipline your child without breaking their spirit.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:27 PM on May. 5, 2010