You do realize that you ancestors changed their last name because they were scared fo being persecuted because they were immigrants right?

I find it funny that some bring up the argument that their ancestors changed their name to be more American, as if every immigrant should do that...and would do that if they really loved America & wanted to be a part of it.

But, you do realize that they changed their name more out of fear of being persecuted, then just loving America & wanting to be American...right?

They were Aliens too & most likely persecuted, just like my Irish ancestors were, who refused to change their last name just to save face.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Healey is 100% Irish.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:13 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Actually most immigrants had their names changed for them by some pencil pushing smuck behind a desk at Ellis Island - what's your point?
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:13 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My point is, is that argument is retarded. The fact that your ancestors changed their name means nothing....i HIGHLY doubt they did it for their love of America. That is what i am saying.

I also disagree with your Ellis Island theory. And so do a few other historians...

http://genealogy.about.com/od/ellis_island/a/name_change.htm

Anonymous

• Sorry but, my ancestors were LEGAL immigrants and native americans and DIDN'T change their names.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:20 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Honestly, my mom is huge into tracing our family history, and we didn't see any name changes upon entering the colonies or states in our genealogical records.
    Anonymous

• Right Beachmama!! That or forced without a choice like my ancestors. I so wish I knew my African names.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:22 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Ok you believe an internet link and I'll believe my Great Grandfather arguing with an Immigration Official that he was not changing his name.

Neither of us were alive at the time so no one knows for sure.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:26 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My Dad's family had a Scandinavian name that the people at Ellis Island couldn't understand and pronounce so some dumb clerk wrote their name down with a phonetic spelling and it just kind of followed them wherever they went so they kept the changed name. They were just happy to be in the USA , building their own home and farm in Wisconsin.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:31 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I think I would be tempted to change my name if I say wanted to live the rest of my life in Argentina, since the way my last name is pronounced sounds like a slang word they have for "idiot."
    Anonymous

• Why is it that people get so fired up and ticked off and emotional about these topics????? EVeryone trying to prove that they are right.....gets so tiresome.
    Anonymous