how to make stew?

im wanting to make a stew but dont know how. i dont want my potatoes to turn into mush. i just dont know how to do it, i know to brown the stew meat but what do i do for the broth? and when do i put the veggies in how long do i cook?

ashleywilkerson

Asked by ashleywilkerson at 7:11 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I usually flour and brown the meat. Then put it in the slow cooker with a can or two of broth and water add all the veggies and let it simmer all day. Then make some corn bread when it's almost done, or have some rolls.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 7:39 PM on May. 4, 2010

• http://daniellecooks.wordpress.com/2009/09/19/crock-pot-beef-provencial/

for stew just cube the beef and reduce the broth by half

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:57 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Everything kind of depends on how much of everything you like or want in the stew, You can add or subtract according to your taste..... but this is about what I do.

1- 1 1/2 lbs stew meat ( depends on how much meat you want in it)
    1/2 - 3/4 package of celery ( chopped into bite size pieces)
    1 small onion - cut into about 6 wedges
    1 small package of baby carrots
    3-4 regular sized potatoes peeled
    About 3-4 beef bouillion cubes
    1 med can of stewed tomatoes
    1 sm. can of tomato sauce (optional)
    Couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce ( optional too, I just started using this, but like the little flavor it adds- be careful with it it, it's strong!)
    2 bay leaves
    Sprig of Rosemary (optional)
    Water- Start with about 4 cups and add as needed after that.

(cont............)
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:31 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Chop all of your ingredients

Season your stew meat with pepper, salt, and granulated garlic ( or garlic salt, whatever you use!) Put about 1 1/2 cups of flour in a bowl and add the same seasonings to the flour. Set Aside

Put some oil ( just a little) in the bottom of your stew pot. Let it get hot. add stew meat in just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Do not pile the meat , it needs to brown all over. You may have to do a couple batches this way. when browned, just put on a plate and do the next batch until you're done. Add any meat set aside back into the pot. Add your water and bouillion.

Now you can pretty much start dumping everything in. If you think you want more of something, add it. Add more water as needed.

I never used to make stew with the stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce, but I love the flavor it adds! I typically don't have to season the stew, but you may want to when you sit down to eat.
    Nika75