how much cash should a family take to the zoo?

Our family is going to the zoo on Friday. How much money does a typical family spend at the zoo? How much would you suggest we take? (There will be 1 child and possibly 4 adults)

victoriamom2007

Asked by victoriamom2007 at 7:26 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It all depends on how much the zoo costs and if you intend to buy lunch and or treats. I am sure that your zoo has a website and you can get a general idea of how much things costs.

We are members of our zoo, so I just bring $20 for treats. We bring our lunches.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:29 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I will be packing us all a lunch ( have been told that zoo food is expensive). There is nothing on their website about "treats" or souvinears (I know I spelled that wrong LOL) costs. Tickets are going to cost $10 a person. 2 of the adults are paying their own way.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 7:34 PM on May. 4, 2010

• We pack treats and drinks and take pictures as souvenirs. The only extra thing that we pay for is the train ride and sometimes we buy a couple dollars of the nectar to feed the lorakeets (sp?).
    Anonymous

• our zoo costs a mint. lol

ours costs - $19 each person ($12 for kids, free under 3)

food varies from $2- $10.

I've never bought anything from there for a souvenier but I do know that my BIL got a tiny little stuffed toy (smaller than a beanie baby) for $30.

is the zoo in your own city?? it might be easier to buy a pass so that you can go more often. we bought the family pass for $150 - and go a few times a week.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:51 PM on May. 4, 2010

• We always pack our own lunches and fill a cooler with drinks. We bring in a couple drinks. And go back out to the car for our cooler ...usually we find a picnic table or just eat in the car ...and then go back in the zoo after.
    Anonymous

• hypermamaz: the zoo we are going to is 2 1/2 hours away. We have one that is an hour away, but there is not much there. Victoria (my 3 year old) is fascinated with elephants and hippos. The local one (an hour away) does not have elephants or hippos.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 8:01 PM on May. 4, 2010

• We have a pass that gets us in all year long. We usually don't take any cash because we are allowed to bring in our own snacks. And the food at our zoo is horrible anyway. Sometimes we spend a few bucks to go on the carousel or something but never more than $20.  If we did buy all our snacks there I would say you would need about $20 a person.  It is all very expensive.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:22 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Unless you intend to tip the amimals, enough for the entry and snacks
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 9:53 PM on May. 4, 2010