married to an illegal

Okay this is just a question that I thought I knew the answer too, Once i get my answer I will just delete. I dont want this turning into a drama post

I thought if a US citizen married an illegal, the illgal became a citizen as well but through all these post I found out that isn't true. What other things to they need to do become legal once you already married a legalized citizen.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 7:47 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• ok first you have to petition and your spouse must petition for him/her to have their status adjusted. they are then usually sent to their home country to await a hearing. however, the american spouse can inject and pertition to waiver. which it a document stating it would be physically financially and/or emotionaly traumatizing for them to leave you. exp...iy you have kids together and he is sent back to his home country that would not be in the best intrest of the children to be away from their father and could cause them emotional dismay..IF the petition to waiver is denied they have to wait in their home country untill they are awarded a parole into the usa. hich could take anywhere from a few months to years..if they are not in otherwise good legal standing they could get slapped with a ten year ban and not be allowed back until, the ten years are up. it depend on how they crossed, their legal standing & the lawyer u have
    Anonymous

• i'm not totally sure...i think you have to stay married for so long to prove it is legit before you actually become legal. They investigate you and everything
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:49 PM on May. 4, 2010

• No, illegals don't get to just someone here.
    Anonymous

• *marry* should have been in there.
    Anonymous

• i know that now, I'm just wondering what else they have to do.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:08 PM on May. 4, 2010

• They can but it is a process it isn't automatic like with children who are born here.
    Anonymous

• You still have to go through all the legal immigration process although having a spouse may be 'better' than just a standard sponsor.

However ON TOP of all the standard things they'd have to do anyway; they'll also have to prove they are a real couple; for years. Be subjected to indignant interviews regarding their sex lives; and other personal quirks; they will years later have to re-submit their wedding album and other documents showing they are a real couple etc...

And if at any point they are suspected and or convicted of fraud not only is the illegal in trouble but so is the citizen that was aiding them.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:23 PM on May. 4, 2010

• You really need to find out from the proper channels.. get a hold of an immigration lawyer to help you. That is your safest bet. Here you will get a myriad of answers that might not even be right.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:24 PM on May. 4, 2010

• If you really want to know how a person legally immigrates here with the intent to marry someone I can ask a CM friend who is going through it if she would mind PM'ing you; though I can't promise.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:31 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I thought that too, until I started asking around. Someone emailed me, and maybe they will email you. She gave me a ton of info, dealing with the whole marriage thing. It was very helpful.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 8:31 PM on May. 4, 2010