Do you believe in a welfare mindset?

My aunt was on old school welfare(checks) in the 80's. Her daughter now has 2 kids.She's 21. First one was taken away because she wasn't feeding him and he went 6 mo. without gaining weight(infant) She just had a new one. My family is encouraging her to NOT work,and wants her to rely on child support which would be about $35 a week! My aunt figures between that,WIC,foodstamps,and her living with her,that's good enough.I think this is a good example of why the welfare system was revamped. It created this generational laziness passed from mother to children.I say you have the kid(s),you get your ass out there and work to care for your kids. Don't be hoping babydaddy comes thru for you! You play,you pay!

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 8:23 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes, it makes it very easy for people to have that mindset. welfare should be set up kinda like unemployment.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:36 PM on May. 4, 2010

• yes. that is definately taking advantage. my SIL takes advantage of the system and it drives me insane. i dont understand how anyone can be HAPPY to stay on it. I hate it. and i cant wait to get things together and better to where we dont need the help. my SK's BM is someone who tried to lie to them to get aid, and because she was asking me to have the SKs put on her case (they were on mine), I went in and explained the whole situation. they ended up calling her and she voluntarily withdrew her application. you can say she was more than pissed off at me....even though I TRIED to stay anonymous.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:28 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I was on welfare and both of my kids want to work I believe that not everyone on welfare has the welfare mentality even though I have seen it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:45 PM on May. 4, 2010

• agree with shay! or you should keep a good attendance at work or full time school. come on people, pick yourselves up and keep on going!!!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:46 PM on May. 4, 2010

• The one time my mom tried to get food stamps she was denied. She was working two jobs and had to kids. I got my wonderful work ethic from her.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:03 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I've seen TOO many people with that mindset. Me, I am on welfare but that is the only way I can support me & my daughter until my doctor clears me for work which hopefully is within the next few weeks. I've been waiting 7 months because of a back injury from my unwanted epidural placed 5 times wrong. I can't feel my right leg & can't sit or stand long but I told the doctor I HAVE to work & I'll push threw the pain. Welfare barely gives enough to survive, I'm clueless on why people insist on living on it when they are fully capable of working.& making more money.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:33 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I think some people do. I used to work with a girl who had 3 children and she was only 19. I respected the fact that she and her bf were still together and both working, (she worked days and he worked nights), But what I didn't like was that her mother was receiving money each month to watch her kids, BUT she didn't watch the kids. her mother would give them the money. This girl did not see a single thing wrong with this. Not everyone on welfare is like this, but I have to admit I have seen alot of people work the system and think that it is perfectly ok.
    Anonymous

• I'm on welfare myself, but I work for it! I do 22 hours/week volunteering, and at the animal shelter I volunteer at, they are slowly training me for a real job there.
    hiddenstrength

Answer by hiddenstrength at 12:43 AM on May. 5, 2010