My 3rd grader told me he wants to drop out of school.

Yeah.He said this. 3rd grade and he wants to drop out.
I asked him why.
He says because he doesnt need that stuff, he knows enough. He said he'll never need reading in his life or anything else that school is teaching him.
I asked him what he'd do all day long if he wasn't in school. He said"play my WII". I said, no you won't. You'll have to get a job.He looked at me like I was crazy. I said, "oh yes, either you'll have to get a job or go to juvenile." He said, "you can't make me do that." "WANNA BET?"

LOL...Lord help me.Its something new every day with this child.If I survive his preteen years..surely his teenaged years are going to kill me.
Any ideas on a "shocker" to say or do anything to make this child at least WANT to go to school?
When he's off school from vacation, he can't wait to get back. So I know this is just a phase. But still....just..just AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! there. lol.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 8:25 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Understanding the real world is beyond most kids at such a young age. Mentally, the world really does revolve around them and their wants. :-) The best course of action aren't some words, they have little meaning. Actions are important learning tools here. Take him out into the world and show him his options. Show him the poorest of the poor- show him the riches that he can be aiming towards. Show him that his choices today will affect what he gets to work with later on, and that hard work is the way to ensure he will be able to pick.

Some may argue that it sounds materialistic. Sometimes kids need that... they think and like that gratification, and his wii comment tells me that he'll respond that way.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:08 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Get him a job!
    Anonymous

• yeah, i would try to get him a paper route on the weekends. you could also make sure he has "jobs" around the house. i would also maybe have him go volunteer.

if there are any soup kitchens in your area or food pantries, maybe he can volunteer there. maybe some of those people who are not so well off will show him what could happen if he doesnt finish school. there might be some other areas that he could volunteer in....i would look at your community.

you could also have him help you with the family budget. have him help you plan meals for the week and figure out how to use the budgeted amount for groceries. have him help you pay bills. etc. i am not a pro at doing all that, but if you can really work with him and have him help you through the process, maybe he will appreciate you all more and his education.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:32 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I like the job idea.

Also, I would find out where he learned about "dropping out of school" and educate him a little more on the subject of why people drop out, and what happens when they do. Of course he isn't going to fully comprehend that now, but hopefully it will stick in his mind for the future and make him better understand why momma really does know best!
    Anonymous

• LOL! count your blessings- my baby brother said that in kindergarten! he said in all seriousness to my sister and I-
    "what would you guys say if I quit school?"
    you should have seen the look on his face when we told him that he had to be 10 years older to do that! :P

Anonymous

• find him a small job like walking dogs on the week end may help him understand responsibility.. also give him small rewards for good grades & if he does bad at school grounded from his WII ... also see what careers motive him & have his dad & you talk to him about the importance os school
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:45 PM on May. 4, 2010

• LOL I'd consider keeping him home for a week and working his fingers to the bone 9am-5pm. Outdoor tasks - before he's done hand him a list of 2 or 3 other things he has to do, make sure they're jobs he hates.

cleaning toilets
    dusting
    vacuuming
    laundry - he can learn to fold, sort, and wash if he doesn't know already
    scrub the floors (by hand)
    clean garage/basement if you have one
    pull weeds
    wash cars
    etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Good Ideas ladies! I just may put my 10 year old son to work! lol
    Anyone know of a 2 cent an hour sweat shop around thats hiring? LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:06 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I like the job idea...but I would make him fill out applications to get the jobs...LOL
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:36 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Also point out that he wont be very good at filling out resume's for jobs with only a 3rd grade education.
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 8:51 AM on May. 6, 2010