Need healthy meal ideas for 21 month old

Things he WON'T eat: Pasta, rice, saucy/slimy foods, and veggies (any ideas to incorporate these would be awesome!), potatoes

Things he WILL eat: Bread, crackers, meat.

I've ALWAYS introduced and offered healthy food so I don't know why he has become such a picky eater but I really don't want a kid who only eats chicken nuggets and hot dogs. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son likes these little patties:
    I mix together canned chicken (I think you can easily use any kind of left over or canned meat... tuna, burrger, taco meat... whatever!)
    About a cup of mashed potatoes (you can also use sweet potaotes)
    Shredded cheese
    An egg
    And then season however you lik
    Make little patties and then coat in bread crumbs and pan fry or bake
    They are kind of like big nuggets and my son LOVES them
    You can do combos like.... turkey, sweet potaoes and dip them in cranberry sauce
    I think taco meat would be really yummy with some cheddar cheese, maybe dip in a mild salsa or sour cream.
    (you don't have to dip them, just my 21 month LOVES to dip)

If you haven't checked out the books The Sneaky Chef or Decepively Delicious... they are great books on how to sneak fruits and veges into favorite foods.

I've made a vege packed Sloppy Joe and he LOVED them! They also have recipes for pizzas,
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:31 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I have a picky eater who will eat the exact opposite of yours!! LOL. He loves pasta, rice, sauces, vegetables, and fruit. He won't eat meat, crackers, or potatoes of any type.

Honestly, your best bet is to start making him "smoothies" with veges and fruit for now. In my experience there is just no forcing a kid to eat things, I think it makes it worse if you freak out about it.. He will grow out of this and start eating the veges. You keep eating the veges and foods in front of him and obviously enjoy them very much. Also try a variety of veges, try the more exotic ones and see if maybe he'll try more exotic veges.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Oh and pasta and rice are not that important .. Just give him whole grains in the crackers/bread and try to focus on the lack of vegetables.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on May. 5, 2010

• cont
    and all kinds of kids favorites.

If your son like crackers, make sure they are whole grain to make the most of them... and see if he will eat spreads like hummus on them.
    Or like I said, my son likes to dip. So if he happens to be having a cookie, I give him a Nilla waffer and he'll dip them in yogurt or applesauce. (same with his waffles in the morning rather than syrup)
    Today for breakfast my son enjoyed a flattened slice of bread (tortillas work well too) smeared with PB and then I wrapped it around a banana and cut it up in slices.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:36 PM on May. 5, 2010