My 4 yr old son is asking me if i like him?

I have recently noticed over the last couple of weeks that my son is asking me if I like him still. It's usually when he gets in trouble for something. I always tell him I love him and that no matter what he does that I will still love and like him, but it seems like there is just something not right. Has anyone dealt with this?

Jmejlp21

Asked by Jmejlp21 at 9:15 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• no nothing wrong. he's just starting to get a better grasp on relationships. is he in school? my guess would be that he's starting to realize (maybe through school mates) that not all relationships are permanent. he's just checking to make sure that the 2 of you will always love and like each other. keep reassuring him, just like you're doing. maybe tell him that while not everyone will always love and like him, you will.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:21 PM on May. 4, 2010

• He's been in day care since he was about 2 months old, but in december I got a new job and changed his school so that we could be closer to home. I was just worried that I screwed him up from changing schools. He seemed so confident at the other school and even starting this one, but I have been watching him around the kids in our neighborhood and he seemed a little off recently.
    Jmejlp21

Answer by Jmejlp21 at 9:36 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Maybe someone hurt his feelings or he is missing a friend? Is it possible that someone at school might have told him they don't like him or something? I'm sure its nothing YOU did. I agree with the 1st poster and just keep reassuring him that you love him very much and no matter how many "bad" things he does, you will never stop loving him.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:20 PM on May. 4, 2010

• One of my sons did the same thing. I think it's normal. I just tried to show him more, to help him feel very secure in my love for him.
    Anonymous