I got a nail bitter...

My daughter is 3 and is biting her nails.IT looks so nasty :/ Well nail biting nasty.
WHAT do I do?We keep saying no and move her hand.I tell her its gross and she says"It's MY hand" yes child its YOUR hand..What can i do lol

ryanlynn

Asked by ryanlynn at 9:25 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried the peel-off kid safe nail polish? Maybe if she feels she has beautiful princess nails she won't bite them and mess them up.

Nail biters get sick more because their hands are in their mouth all the time. It's good to try to avoid this habit, not for looks, but for hygiene.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:32 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I don't see the big deal. You might think it LOOKS gross but really, she's 3, and nobody is going to go ballistic over her nails. Plus, it's not harming her.
    Anonymous

• I didnt say I make a big deal about it now did I? geeez She bites her nails til they bleed..now offer advice or dont read the damn question :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:31 PM on May. 4, 2010

Umm no need to get your panties in a wad. I wasn't bashing, I simpy said I didn't see the big deal. Plus, you didn't mention she bit them until she bled - THAT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. Geeez...
    Anonymous

• She bites the paint :/
    Thats why im worried.I dont want her getting sick because she bites her nails..Thank you
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:35 PM on May. 4, 2010

• i haven't actually dealt with this, but i did have a thumb sucker. ecodani is right. it's not the look of it so much as the hygiene. i had to bribe my son to get him to stop the thumb sucking. i know it's not the best technique, but hey it worked! every time he made it an entire hour without sucking his thumb, he got a treat. when the thumb went in his mouth, the timer started over. now, the hard part was watching him constantly to make sure his mouth was thumb free. we increased the time gradually, and eventually he stopped. took about 2 maybe 3 weeks to break the habit. GL

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:38 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I thought my kid was the only who bit there nails and this age. My husband and I stopped making such a big deal about it and now I hardly ever see him do it although it still does happen every once in a while. So maybe try not to pay too much attention to it.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:17 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Put hot sauce or something sour on her fingers so when she tries to bite they taste bad...
    Anonymous