Kindergarten Graduation

My son is graduating Kindergarten in a couple weeks! We are considering having a party for all his classmates to celebrate. Did/are any of you throw(ing) your child a party for the big day? I was searching online for party supplies and saw KinderGrad announcements.....is that common? I don't remember ever sending or receiving any announcements.
It is super exciting and we want to celebrate, but I don't want to overdue it. :)

CJM_SHM

Asked by CJM_SHM at 9:27 PM on May. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what we did at my sons school was did a grad party in class. We did it before they technically graduated but that way all kids were there. It was fun. We got lost of graduation decorations at the 99cent store. we planned games and brought healthy snacks and juices. We surprised them too. The teacher had us come when they were at morning recess and we put it all together. It was fun:)
    Anonymous

• haha I think KinderGrad invites sound cute!!! I don't think having a grad party for him is over doing it unless you plan on spending a ridiculous amount of money on it. I totally think it's something worth celebrating and might actually make him all that much more motivated when he starts 1st grade!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:37 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I HATE HATE HATE ANY Graduation beyond from high school or college. Kindergarten graduation is STUPID and should NEVER happen.....these children should be rewarded with nothing. Kindergarten is the EASIEST of all the grades that these kids will go through and the big reward is High School Graduation!!!
    An end of the year party - sure, but graduation?? HELL NO
    Anonymous

• wow...I guess you feel pretty passionately about it. I would like to say that my son is autistic and kindergarten graduation is HUGE for him and for us as parents. He is moving on to general education 1st grade next year and has come so far, that this is definately something to celebrate.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 10:04 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I dont think they have a "graduation" at my SS's school - or I havent heard anything about it. They did a program for the last day of Preschool last year. We got copies of their progress assesment and some other information and they did a little music dance thing and got a certificate saying they had completed preschool. It was really cute! And SO and I really loved getting to see that moment and share his excitement with him.

If they have a graduation for kindergarten, we will go and celebrate at home, but we wont have a party. However, if it was a big moment for you and your son, i dont think there is anything wrong with it.

we had a "graduation" type program when i finished 6th grade (at the time 6th was still in elementary). I think for 8th grade there was a banquet or something. I know we had a special semi-formal dance that year too.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:13 PM on May. 4, 2010

• since your son is autistic good for you guys. I am sure you guys are very proud & understand these accomplishments that are "normal" to others are major milestones! Wishing you & your son the very best in years to come! Im sure the family would find it very cute to get kinde-rgrad announcements in the mail w/ a lil' picture.

But as for the "norm" I think K graduations are silly, so are 6th/8th grade. its just another way to get parents to spend money (over consumerism). If kids get graduations after every small milestone their senior yrs are not going to be all that special.. A pat on the back, and being excited for the year to come should be enough.. Its this over rewarding that will only hurt them when they become adults..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:46 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Very good points! I think I agree, maybe I am just over excited because this is so huge for us :) We will probably do a small family party, because we are really the ones to celebrate his accomplishment. Most of his peers in Kinder don't even know that he is autistic! I'm loving the idea of surprising the children at school with a party though. I think I'm going to talk to his teacher and see if she wants to do something along those lines. Thanks everyone!
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 10:52 PM on May. 4, 2010

• First of all: Yay! For him and you. I totally overdid for my son's preschool graduation, we had a party and everything. Doing well in school is a big deal. IMO as long as you don't start throwing a part for every minor achievement you aren't going to do any damage.
    mikeysmom1980

Answer by mikeysmom1980 at 1:26 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Graduation isn't until after 12th grade and college. Passing kindergarten is not exactly brain surgery and doesn't need to be celebrated with a big party.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:24 AM on May. 5, 2010