HOw and When?

My son is 22 Months and I'm trying to potty train him, Anyone have any good techniques? He is around the right age right?

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 9:29 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I honestly belive there is no right age. I started potty training my kids at a young age. They are girls though, but I still believe if you ar consistant with it then they will train pretty easy. My oldest was 19 months my youngest was 15 months when she was almost fully potty trained, but she got rotavirus so she was sick for 3 weeks so we had to stop training for the time and by the time we started back up she was about 17 or 18 months old. I had people keep messaging me on how I got mine trained so early so I wrote on my profile page on how I did it if you are intrested.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:34 PM on May. 4, 2010

• The average age to potty train is 4 unless you are on Cafemom and then it's as soon at 8 months. Let him lead you. If he isn't showing interest, it's best to wait or it will only lead to frustration. Keep in mind that it has to be a game otherwise he will slam on the brakes.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:06 PM on May. 4, 2010

• The newest recommendations from Pediatrics says potty training should start no earlier than 24 months for girls and 30-36 months for boys. If he is doing well, great, but if he is struggling, I would stop for now and try again in a few months. Boys do tend to take longer; my DD is 22 months and we are waiting until she is 23 months at least to even start formal training.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:31 PM on May. 4, 2010

• he may be too young. there is nothing wrong introducing him, letting him sit on a potty chair, read him some potty stories, gett him some fun underwear. You need to look for signs though like does he tell you when he is wet or poops. Does he understand what you say to him. if you say go potty does he know what that means? Is he interested in the idea? If you start too early then it can take forever if they are not ready. Be prepared to just take a time out if he is not getting it or if either of you are frustrated.My son took a while. he was my first so I was kinda clueless how to start. My middle child we started at 25 mos and she kinda just trained herself. The baby is now 25mos and she tells me everytime she wet or poops and we sit on the potty a few times a day. Today she went on her own and peed! So I am just starting with her and only because she shows me she is ready.
    Anonymous

• I personally was 15 months when I was fully potty trained but I was advanced in everything also walking and talking at 8 months. My niece however will be 4 in september and we're having an awful time trying to potty train her.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 9:21 AM on May. 5, 2010

• You can try it and see! If he is showing signs it wouldn't hurt... I went to www.parents.com and they have advice on potty training plus a quiz you can take to get an idea of if he's ready or not! I read they start showing signs between 18-24 mos.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:04 AM on May. 5, 2010