Nobody likes me

At least, not enough to want to be around me except for my 2 year old. I had one close friend but we don't talk much anymore because she's into things I'd rather not be around. My husband loves me, but lately it doesn't seem like we like each other much. Even my own mother seems disappointed in me. There are people at work that I know like me as a person, and we get along okay, but it ends there. I come home, play with my 2 year old, and then I am alone. That is my life day after day. I even took a vacation by myself - how sad is that? Anyway, what can I do? I'm starting to become depressed. I've been there and prefer not to go back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• meet new people. I was like this (not with my husband, but with other people). I started talking to different people who liked me and who I liked; tried new things. Expand your life activities.
    Anonymous

• Well for starters, feeling sorry for yourself won't get you anywhere (not trying to be mean, just saying it how it is). Second of all, second of all, maybe look at yourself, are there things you can change about YOU that would help you get along better with other people? Maybe try to be a little more open minded. IMO
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:40 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I'm in the same boat. My mom was abusive throughout my whole childhood and so now as an adult I've pulled away and as a result my entire family turned their backs on me. My husband is busy with work and when he isn't working, he spends 100% of his time on the kids. Once the kids go to bed he is too tired to give me any time or attention. My 3 year old tells me she'd rather mommy work so daddy can stay home. My 2 year old likes me, but not as much as his Mimi. The only one that really loves me is my newborn baby. I have 1 good friend but she lives a 7 hour drive for me. I feel like little would change for my family (except my baby) if I fell off the face of the earth tomorrow.
    Anonymous

• Diva - you are right. However, it's very hard to find time to do anything while caring for a 2 year old and working full time. I hardly have time to do anything. I never had this problem when I was younger but now it seems that since I've beomce a mommy and want the mommy life everyone else has excluded me.
    Anonymous

• Anon: 43 that is exactly how I feel. Like nothing would change (except for my son) if I fell off the face of the earth. Like people might ask "Where's *******?" but nobody would really bother to find out.
    Anonymous

• Have you looked into mommy and me groups in your area? The YMCA is a great place to find that. Otherwise you can check out www.meetup.com to find groups in your area that share your interests. I know it can get lonely. Especially if you have a lot of friends who haven't done the mommy route.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:46 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Also, now that it's warmer, going to the park is another way to meet other moms.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:47 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Not to make excuses for myself (which I am good at) but the neighborhood I live in is mostly pretty wealthy SAHMs in their mid to late 30s. I'm 22, broke, and work full time. I find it really hard to relate to other mommy's in my area.
    Anonymous

• The sad part is, that my "best friend" is also a mother and her daughter isn't much older than my son. Right after we both had our kids it looked like we were going to be as close as sisters. But now all she does is party, smoke weed, she just lost her job, has a completely different group of friends, and barely ever sees her own kid. I can't nor do I want to compete with that.
    Anonymous

• You shouldn't compete with that. I live in an area that has a lot of wealthy SAHMs too, but believe it or not, there are the ones out there like you and I. But you have to get out there and find them. Does our LO go to preschool/daycare.........maybe connect with some of those moms.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:54 PM on May. 4, 2010