troubelig teen

My 16 year old son has had a total personality change, he has become very disrespectful towards me, he has started cursing and using filthy language and doesnt respect mom and dads privacy at all!! I am getting so frustrated , he has always been so respectfull and quiet he has always been such a good ki, he is still doing well in school and has goteen in any trouble outside the house, but towards us he has made a total change he is rude and unmannored, he also has no respect for our privacy. I know a lot of teen agers go theough phases, but is this something I should be more concerned with or is just a teen age boy thing he is going through?

Jcervo70

Asked by Jcervo70 at 9:45 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• im pretty sure most teenagers go through this. i know i did.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:47 PM on May. 4, 2010

• To a degree it's typical teenage behavior. But consider his friends, what kind of kids are they?
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:51 PM on May. 4, 2010

• just talk to him. don't wait for him to act up. go to him when he's in a good mood, and just tell him how you feel. ask him if there's something bothering him, and if you can help in any way. use specific examples, and tell him how and why his behavior hurts you.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:54 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Personally this raises a couple red flags for me. Rebellion is a typical teenage behavior but I would check out his friends and his music. If I didn't like what I saw I would look into some family counseling if possible. Of course, you could just smack him upside the head or threaten to send him to catholic school... jus sayin. LOL
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 10:00 PM on May. 4, 2010

• It's probably a mix of depression, rebellion, him trying to stand out and be an adult, and just general angst and confusion mixed all together. You need to firmly put your foot down and let him know who's in charge while still being gentle at the same time. If you don't approach this the right way you could just make it worse. I'd talk to a psychologist on how to delicately but firmly handle the situation. Many times if it is just an act bringing a psych into the picture will be enough to shock the kid back into normalcy. Although if it's severe depression making him an angry hateful teen there could be a real problem. When I was a teen I hated the world, I was a cutter, and I had serious problems. Good luck mom
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 9:05 AM on May. 5, 2010

• It makes me suspicious of use of pot. My son became a devil when he used to smoke. It went on for a couple of years, until he found a girl who showed him something better than pot, lol....literally, my son was belligerent, aggressive, broke things in tantrums and started having trouble in school. You may not suspect it, but at least sniff his clothing. That to me was my biggest hint. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Could be normal teenage attitude but it does sound a bit extreme. I would be worried about possible drug use...that can cause this kind of thing too. I;m not sure what the solution is but you deserve better than to be treated like dirt by someone you've loved his whole life. If you have a husband you need to sit down with him and decide what you are going to do to deal with this. Then sit down with your son and have an open conversation about how he is making you feel and how you deserve better. Give him a chance to talk and maybe he'll disclose what the problem is....just keep and open mind. It could be a number of things other than drugs so don't accuse him...just ask gently.

Take a hardline on this and don't let him treat you that way anymore. He is under your roof and needs to respect you properly or face consequences.

Hang in there momma...be strong.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 1:48 AM on May. 6, 2010