Do you have to show your ID to exchange clothes?

Today I went to Kohl's to exchange a shirt, I read that they give you credit if you don't have a recipt, I didn't have one because it was a gift, they asked me to show them my driver permit, I don't have one I'm italian, and so they refused to exchange my shirt. Do you have to show your ID or drive permit everytime you exchange something?

shining8250

Asked by shining8250 at 10:09 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I never have had too.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:10 PM on May. 4, 2010

• It doesn't have to be a driver's license, just any U.S. government id such as military spouse id, passport, picture id, etc.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:11 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Some places, yes, some no...
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 10:13 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I returned something to Kohl's a few days ago. I gave them my receipt, they gave me back my money, not problemo. No ID was necessary.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:04 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Yep. Almost every place requires an ID without a receipt. I exchanged some slacks WITH a receipt at JC Penny last weekend and they required my ID. It is pretty standard.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:31 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Some stores do and some don't. I don't think it's like a legal requirement, it's up to the store policy.

They do that to prevent people from committing fraudulent exchanges. It's a huge problem and the stores have to protect themselves from the people that rip them off.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:38 PM on May. 4, 2010