Anyone ever had Mastitis infection from breastfeeding? If so how long did it take for it to heal? I had it about a month ago and than it went away with antibiotics and than it just recently came back because I fell asleep and didn't wake during the night because my baby slept. Ever since I had the mastitis infection my breast tend to sting every so often anyone experience this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like Raynauds Syndrome. It's not an issue and is usually caused by the compression caused from nursing and then a sudden change in temp from the baby's mouth to the air. The nipple is usually blanched (whitened) after nursing and when the blood rushes back into them, it causes a stinging sensation. I had this for most of the nursing days.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:15 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I would assume the stinging was a clogged duct, which can form into mastitis. Whenever you have stinging I would sit in a hot shower with the water running down your breasts and massage where it's stinging to unclog it.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:16 PM on May. 4, 2010

• jademom07 I didn't know that but it's nice to know.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:17 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I know how you feel, I had 3 breast infections in 3 months... I had a horrible fever and it took about 2 weeks to heal... it stings and burns like hell... I hope you get better soon! GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:19 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Welcome. If the stinging was constant, I would go for it being another infection but if it's only after nursing, then it's probably the syndrome. I also had a yeast infection and cured it with Lotramin AF (for athletes foot) it was recommended by both my LC and Pedi.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:19 PM on May. 4, 2010

• If you took antibiotics for the mastitis you may have Thrush (aka Candida or Yeast)

Also check out Recurrent Mastitis or Plugged Ducts to help you figure out why you got it again and keep it from happening again.  You shouldn't get mastitis from one time of sleeping through the night.  My guess is you may have an oversupply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:58 PM on May. 4, 2010