i am feeling pretty frustrated right now...my little girl has a cough and is moaning in her sleep. i need to give her something so she can sleep. but guese what the only meds i have here are childrens tylenol, motrin and kids zyrtec allergy meds..it is 10pm and my other baby is sleeping and dh is working..ugh!

sweetestkitten

Asked by sweetestkitten at 11:00 PM on May. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well as long as she is still asleep, i would let her sleep. hopefully she will make it through the night. do you know anyone that can run you some cough medicine over?

do you have a vaporizer? if so, i would stick that in her room.

also, i would prop her up if she wakes up. use pillows to help the drainage and stuff to not just sit on her chest.

other than that, i dont have a lot of ideas. If she wakes up and you dont have the vaporizer, I have heard that if you turn the hot water on in the shower and shut the doors in the bathroom and let it get all steamy in there and have her relax/lay/sit in the bathroom it can help.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:04 PM on May. 4, 2010

• ty ..no i dont have anyone to run me meds...and no vaprizore...it is a dry harsh cough...ia m sue it is her allergies...but her allergy meds is otc zyrtec recomended for both of my kids by their ped...but it was on the recall and i am afraid to give it to her...:(
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 11:17 PM on May. 4, 2010

• She'll be alright. A cough is a good thing. You don't need to pump her full of meds.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:04 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i know..but my kids have bad allergies and in my sons case his allergies when not treated with his meds it triggers his asthma...and that can get scarey fast...a cough to a non asthmatic is a good thing a cough to an asthmatic is a sign of an asthma attack creeping up...
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 12:14 AM on May. 5, 2010

• for asthma you can try warm caffeinated coffee for the dry cough a teaspoon of honey and lemon works but it's gross. They both do work well
    splendid2onspec

Answer by splendid2onspec at 12:22 AM on May. 5, 2010

• thanks i will have to try that. my sons has two inhalers. he has his albuterol (rescue inhaler) and his flow vent (his twice daily stabilizer) and he also has his nebulizer. (sp?) but he has allergy triggers and he has otc zyrtec to treat his allergies. i am going to have to call his ped to see what other allergy med she recommends for him he is 3 so he cant have just any meds. and my little girl who was the one coughing tonight has allergies w/out asthma. she has settled down after some water. thank you for your wonderful advice!
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 12:31 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Look it up. You can check on their website for the lot numbers and such for affected batches. You may not have bad ones.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:32 AM on May. 5, 2010

• my SKs both take prescription singular. its expensive and was a pain with insurance, so we got samples for awhile, but now they get them through the prescription. they take it once a day. and my SD takes Advair twice a day as a preventative. She rarely uses her inhaler, but we have that and a nebulizer and plenty of albuteral. my SS takes a pulmicort mist/spray type thing twice a day as his preventative. He use to do pulmicort once a day through the nebulizer but his mom asked them to change it because she thought it was too hard to give it to him that way.

My DD is only 22 months. My doctor said to give her children's clariton 1/2 the smalles portion on the bottle since she is little when she is having allergy stuff.

If my SKs wake up coughing really bad, we pretty much always know its time for an albuteral breathing treatment. if after 2 treatments they are still having trouble we go to the ER.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 1:58 PM on May. 5, 2010