If you saw a child being abused by their parent, or you suspect that they were, would you step up or ignore it?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 11:31 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• step up of course but i would have to know for certain before i did anything
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:38 PM on May. 4, 2010

• What if you knew. Like your gut instincts tell you that the child was being abused but you're afraid to do anything because you're wrong? I've had that gut instinct with women who I thought were being abused but I never know what to do about it.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:41 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I'd tell. And confront if necessary.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:46 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Thats a tough one.....I babysat for a single dad and his daughter was 3 and complaining that she hurt in her privates. My daughter was over at the house babysitting one day because I couldn't and she found a vibrator in the girls dresser when she went to get some shorts for her to wear. Now was that enough to report?....I wasn't sure...never called and it still haunts me...but she always loved her dad and got excited to see him...so what do you do...plus it is a very small town.
    Then there is my daughters dad who has a son from another woman...knowing how angry her dad can get and how mean he can get i have wanted to call CPS but what proof do i have other then a "hunch",
    Anonymous

• I've made a phone call once, and I would do it again. Of course I don't go around making phone calls all the time. I had to be 100% sure that something was up first.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:47 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I babysat for a single dad and his daughter was 3 and complaining that she hurt in her privates. My daughter was over at the house babysitting one day because I couldn't and she found a vibrator in the girls dresser when she went to get some shorts for her to wear. Now was that enough to report?

I would have DEFINITELY reported this!!!!!!!! Put 2 and 2 together! What the hell would a vibrator be doing in a 3 year olds dresser drawer! Omg that makes me want to throw up.

OP, yes I would call on a hunch or suspicion. I'd rather feel like an idiot for being wrong, than find out later that I was right and reget not calling.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:52 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I wish people would stop asking such stupid questions tonight. It's annoying. I refuse to believe there are this many morons ini the world.

Children are helpless innocents and anyone who turns a blind eye to abuse is a pathetic excuse for a human being and a total waste of oxygen.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 1:43 AM on May. 5, 2010