So is it OK to judge? Is there a problem with an atheist judging a Christians, or a Muslim judging a pagan?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i agree with oldermom..and if i may add, i'm not so sure the bible actually designates judging as 'sin'. the passage mentioned is more like a rebuking to the way many xtians were treating each other. it isn't about xtians vs nons, or other religions. something else the 'world' conveniently forgets, xtians are supposed to judge/rebuke/correct each other..so says the bible..in a loving, caring way, of course. true judgement out of love comes from the heart of God, not the heart of man that is selfish or desiring of being better than the other person. even a child can tell the difference in such overtones.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:05 AM on May. 5, 2010

• im atheist and I dont judge. I think its wrong to judge if your relgious or not
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:48 PM on May. 4, 2010

• See, I think people are unrealistic about this. If you have any standard within yourself of what you believe is right or wrong, than making a judgement about what other people is doing is unavoidable. In fact, to a certain extent, it's invaluable to have good judgement. For example, when you're watching other parents and trying to learn from them, it's important for you to be able to say, "That is something I want to do, and that is something I don't want to do." When you see someone of a different faith snubbing someone in need, I think it's healthy for you to say to yourself, "That is wrong. I want to be a kinder person than that."
    What is WRONG is when you treat a person with disdain or believe that you are better than them for doing things you don't believe in.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:52 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I don't think anyone has a right to judge. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of Yahweh." Romans 3:23
    Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 11:53 PM on May. 4, 2010

• on this site it seems you are accused of judging just for saying what you believe.. I'm christian & I don't mind if someone gives me there opinion , sadly I have lost my temper & told someone they were not a true christian ok that was wrong & judgemental :( .. well said adelicious
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:33 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I don't believe anyone has the right to judge another on the basis of religion since that's what your question is about.I agree with Adelicious as long as comparing through judgement can make you a better person.It's constructive to learn by observation and the process of writing off things you don't condone.But in my view, religion is too personal for anyone to fathom.It's like telling a mom she doesn't love her children enough just because she isn't affectionate or patient enough or whatever else is considered an appropriate standard in the beholder's eye.It's wonderful to have a diversity of opinions but jugding can and tends to get out of hand at times and I think-myself included-we've made too many of those mistakes already.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 3:11 AM on May. 5, 2010

• No it's not okay to judge, it's considered a sin in the Bible. If your an atheist it's still not okay because it's just plain not nice and it's often hypocritical because we should be dealing with or own short comings instead of pointing out and focusing on other peoples. Of course it's not easy not to judge, it's something most people, myself included, need to continually remind themselves.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:53 AM on May. 5, 2010

• judge not least ye be judged.... good passage, however when others have this as a rule, and still continue to not only judge, but PUNISH others (verbally or physically) for their beliefs.. others have the right to take a stand to defend themselves.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:39 AM on May. 5, 2010

• From a personal point of view if I do something that is just wrong tell me. I have bad days and sometimes my words just come out not quite right. But if you tell me I'm a Idol worshiper not understanding my faith then I will tell you how and why you are wrong in believing that. This is not the judging that is noted in the Bible. We are to point out mistakes, but at the same time realise our inequities and that others will point them out also. We are to learn from each other we can't do that if we don't "judge" from time to time.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:40 AM on May. 5, 2010

• There is only one religion that has a rule "judge not" and ironically, it is the people from that religion who seem to most relish judging people - because they aren't Christian enough, because their sect of Christianity is really "a cult" or because other people have the sheer nerve to not be Christian. It's one thing to say it's not polite to judge, but when your very religion has a rule not to judge, expect to be held to a higher standard. Muslims shouldn't drink, Christians can. I will consider a Muslim who tries to preach religion with a drink in their hand a hypocrite, just as I will consider a Christian who runs around trying to tell people they're doing it wrong a hypocrite when they do it in the name of the very book that tells them to show through their actions, not their words.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:02 AM on May. 5, 2010