Sahm- how do you and dh afford for you to stay home w/ no income??

I would love to stay home but I just don't see how anyone makes it on one income??
My dh makes decent money but still. How much does your dh make?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• it also depends A LOT on where you live. I see SAHMs on here saying their DH makes $30,000 or less a year and that's poverty where we live. My husband would have to make AT LEAST $70,000 a year alone for me to be able to stay at home and still live the life we do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i stay at home, my husband makes 25,000 a year. we make it just fine. we also rent.... so idk if that has anything to do with it?
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 12:07 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i agree with anon. i live in NY and its really hard to afford anything here ... but in FL or IL, it might not be so bad.
    my SO makes around 20,000 i think - around $450 a week. i stay home because my mom pays my share of the bills for me right now. i just finished my associates degree, was going to continue on to my bachelors but were so broke right now im looking for a job and i cant find one anywhere. its really upseting me. i actually dont want to be a stay at home mom. dont get me wrong, i love being the one taking care of my son - but i want others parts to my life also, not JUST mom. plus, i want a paycheck with my name on it. i want to know that I am using my paycheck to take my son on vacation. & i dont want us to just make it, i want lots of money. plus i wouldnt be putting my son in daycare, i would be using all different family members to help watch him so i wouldnt feel as bad about it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:08 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Im a stay at home mom. My husband make pretty good money, enough to pay rent and all the bills, we save to spend money like going shopping. If i worked well be a lot better then now, but then i will be working to pay for daycare. so theres no point on me working. Not until i find someone i can trust and CHEAPPP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 5, 2010

• My DH makes a decent living, not great, decent. As for how we can afford for me to stay home, we don't spend a minimum of $800 a month on daycare. We budget our money, have a garden, I make our laundry detergent, I don't drive around all day and waste gas. My car has the least amount of miles on it. My DH rides a motorcyle to work to save more on gas. Honestly, I don't like that thing but it does get good mileage. I line dry our clothes, we buy a lot of off brand things, we shop for clothes out of season but I did that before we even got married. We only have this computer and internet because I'm taking online classes that we paid for out of our tax refund this year. For us, it would be pointless for me to work outside the home. I'd be lucky to bring home $100 a week. We'd have the life I did when I was growing up and my mom worked - my kids would be stuck in daycare all day, cont.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:08 AM on May. 5, 2010

• does depend on where you live and the extras you dont need. We live pay check to pay check and I'm a sahm but its better then me working my ass of in a job and have my entire pay check just go to daycare. We live in a expensive area, once we are transfered I hope its somewhere cheaper so it will be easier on us. We just dont go out to eat at all or do a bunch of fun things. We rarely buy soda and sweets The kids are still young so the park is good enough for them. Budgeting is what really keeps us going,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:09 AM on May. 5, 2010

• We do not have a car payment or cable. We also do not have a home phone, we only have cells. We live in a cheap place, we have lived her for 10 years and never had a rent increase. So our rent is really cheap. If we moved I would have to get a job, there is no way we could pay double our rent with what my husband makes every month. Our house is small, but we have a yard and a really nice landlord.
    Me being home with our kids is more important than cable, a larger house and or a newer car.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:10 AM on May. 5, 2010

• We bought a house for $75,000 and put $30,000 down as a down payment. Its a little house with 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom in a good town in Indiana, with a nice backyard. It was an elderly woman who passed away and that's all her family wanted to sell the house for. So our house payment is like $300 a month. Both of our cars are paid off, bought by our parent's when we were in high school and college, so we have no car payments and the insurance is like $100 a month for each. Cable and internet where we live is only like $19 a month and we are still both on our parent's cell phone family planes so we don't have a cell payment. My fiance was in a bad car accident when he was little so he has a lot of money from a lawsuit that he won. On top of his paychecks that are usually between $1400-2000 a month, he gets an additional $300 added into his account. We make it easily without me working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Before our baby was born and we did some math in regards to my income and how much it would cost me to keep working.

We factored in having our 2nd car, gas, work clothes, lunches at work, and what daycare would cost. Doing the math, that left me earning a few hundred a month - which we realized I could make doing a little free-lance work from home.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 12:10 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I'd be exhausted when I got home to start my actual career of taking care of my kids and the house. I know so many women who spend 3/4 of their pay on daycare and what they bring home is next to nothing. I'd rather sacrifice now while I'm in school and my kids are little and won't remember that we didn't get to do tons of things outside our home. I'd rather be with them while they are little before they start school. But that is just how things work for us. Everyone is different.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:11 AM on May. 5, 2010