How do I get my baby use to whole milk? Can I mix it w/ his formula?

He will be turning a year in 3 weeks. I try and give him little tastes of it in his bottle and he knows the difference, He gets mad cuz it's not his formula. He won't drink it. I know usually they have to be off formula when they turn one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my little girl turned one as soon as she used up her last can of formula she was off of it and on to whole milk...u could try to add a touch of corn syrup to sweeten it up a bit. but no more than a small drop or two ..corn syrup is sugar so it isnt that great for them but i will help to make the transition...when she accepts it put less and less untill u put none :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Once a baby turns 12 mo there is no need for cow's milk. Cow's milk fourmula is used to keep babies that aren't breastfed alive until they can survive on a regular food diet. Human children don't need cow's or any other mammal other than human milk after 12 mo. If you decide to feed your child cow's milk products only 2 toddler size servings a day are recommend for all cow's milk. It can be hard to limit a toddler to just 2 servings from food since there are so many foods toddlers like with milk.

Milk can cause constipation, obesity, and other digestive and dietary disorders. Cows cause environmental problems. Toddlers should drink water and can have around 4 ounces of juice from an open (not sippy) cup, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:14 AM on May. 5, 2010

• they have formula for babies over a year old. good start or something like that. i still breast feed.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 12:28 AM on May. 5, 2010

• When my son came off formula I started by replacing 2oz. of his formula with milk and increased it a little every few days. In a few weeks he was on whole milk with no problems. As for what your child should or shouldn't consume I would recommend doing your own research or discussing that with a nutritionist or your pediatrician. Hope this helps!
    mikeysmom1980

Answer by mikeysmom1980 at 12:57 AM on May. 5, 2010

• We mixed in milk with his formula as the pp mentioned, gradually reducing the formula and increasing the milk until he was on milk only.

Answer by missanc at 8:11 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Ya just mix for a bit then lesson it till he is on the whole milk...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on May. 5, 2010

• You sure can. And just remember you can also just go cold turkey. They will be mad for a day or 2 at most. Just remember lots of water for the first couple months so that your little one doesn't get constipated. And don't listen to those who say they don't NEED cows milk. The majority of those mommys are still BFing which is great but if your not your LO has to get the calcium somewhere. Ultimately you should talk with your doc and a nutrienist (if your on wic you can usually just go in and ask for a meeting with one and they will give it to you).
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:33 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i did the same thing as pp and mixed it and gradually increased it till it was just milk
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 8:51 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i mixed formula and whole milk and gradually upped the whole milk until he was one, i started with 3 oz of milk to 5 formula and every so many days take away a oz of formula and add oz off whole milk!
    stacy1403

Answer by stacy1403 at 9:04 AM on May. 5, 2010

• My 1st daughter was 18 months when she stopped drinking formula and i dont plan on stopping with my second til she is 2. You can mix formula with milk.Just not the powder with the milk lol.Also formula premix(because its cold) and milk is good also.She will get used to the cold and then slowly add milk and before you know it she is just drinking milk :) Good luck
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:08 AM on May. 5, 2010