My 1.5 year old is asking to nurse!

I think it's great. He points at my breast any time he wants to nurse. He's been a little forceful sometimes but I gently correct him and tell him not to be and he generally just points now.

But my mom came up and she told me "if he can ask, it's time to stop breastfeeding"

I know a lot of people feel this way, but, why??

I see people on here say it all the time. But. Why?? What do you think will happen if, say, a child remembers nursing?

Is there any references/studies about how it will affect development negatively, not just your own personal theory/what you've heard/anecdote? Dead serious with the last question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nursing is food for your child. I don't think of negative consequences from "transitioning" his food. He'll still be feed.

Now I know for a fact that breastfeeding has nutrients and the "more the merrier!!! "
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on May. 5, 2010

• People don't know what they are talking about when they say stupid things like "they are too old ...

Normal age for weaning in humans is somewhere between 3 and 7 years. The question should be, what experiments have been done to determine the damage done by not breastfeeding at least 3 years? There are lots of us whose children remember breastfeeding. 

You might like to read some of the writings of anthropologist Katherine Dettwyler. Go to google and enter her name. She has done this kind of research. Check out the Mothering Magazine website.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:25 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i still nurse my baby, she is 19 months. she ask for it just like anything else she wants. i will give it to her untill she does not want it. it is not up for discussion with anyone. tell your mom to but out, she had her chance to raise her kids and now it is yours. nurse your baby untill you and your child see fit. : ) good job!!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 12:27 AM on May. 5, 2010

• My older sister nursed till she was 7, and I am not kidding you. Shes 31 now and has no mental physical emotional problems or any problems. Sometimes we tease her and I asked why did you nursed so long and she said "Idk, now that I look back on it, I think it was just gross lol"...
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 12:27 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Don't let other people convince you not to do something you know is best for your child! As long as you and your child are both comfortable with it, good for you and him.
    mikeysmom1980

Answer by mikeysmom1980 at 12:43 AM on May. 5, 2010

• BF is a personal decision and the only people who matter in this issue are you and your son. My dd is old enough to ask for her binkie, blankie, and let me know she needs to be changed at 18 months, doesn't mean I take it all away and start potty training her. Bad comparison, but you know what I am getting at? Being able to let us know their needs is a good thing, and if your son wants to nurse let him nurse till your both ready to stop.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 12:47 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Have you noticed that people also freak out when baby gets teeth. Look at it as a learning experience for your mom. She needs to learn to mind her own business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on May. 5, 2010

• My dd is only 13 mo old but she can pull down my shirt or put her face in the general direction of my breasts so she "knows" where the milk is coming from and one of my friends told me the same thing. SO I basically (in a nice way) told her to go to hell and that I would nurse my dd as long as we were both comfortable doing so.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:08 PM on May. 6, 2010