My 6 year olds dog is being put to sleep in the morning. He has asked several times to be there. Is he too young?

I think he can handle it, though I am prepared for some issues. His dad(my ex) is against it. Any opinions with reasons why or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

mikeysmom1980

Asked by mikeysmom1980 at 12:31 AM on May. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It was very difficult for me and I would not have been able to care for a young child's needs. A lot depends on your feelings for the dog.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:35 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Thanks! I love the dog but my ex kept him when we split 2 years ago. Also my ex father in law will actually be there with the dog so if my son needs to leave we can.
    mikeysmom1980

Answer by mikeysmom1980 at 12:38 AM on May. 5, 2010

• no I think that it would help him say good bye however it would be hard.. is the dog sick or dying cause your son may ask why he is being put to sleep..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:42 AM on May. 5, 2010

• He has a brain tumor. He recently stopped eating and has been whimpering. My son is totally aware of what is going to happen. He told me this evening when he got home that "Murphey is being put to sleep tomorrow" when I asked him if he knew what that meant he said" He's going to die and go to Heaven with God and Jesus. But I will miss playing with him..."
    mikeysmom1980

Answer by mikeysmom1980 at 12:46 AM on May. 5, 2010

• aw that breaks my heart :( he sounds like a very mature 6 year old you are lucky to have such a smart boy. i would say let him say goodbye to him definitely. and if it gets to be too hard then be ready to leave with him. i would imagine though that he will just fall asleep and not wake up. i am not clear on how those processes work though i have never been through it. good luck
    lululovexox

Answer by lululovexox at 12:53 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Thanks! He is a pretty great little guy.
    mikeysmom1980

Answer by mikeysmom1980 at 12:59 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I'd say let him go. The pain of not going, and the regret of not being there, can last a life time. I speak from experience. My dog Panda was put down when I was 5. We didn't know she was deaf, and my father ran over her tail with a lawn mower. The vet amputated it, but she got an infection and it was kinder to put her down. I knew what was going on, but wasn't allowed to be there, and for years cried because I *knew* that Panda would have missed me, and wanted me there. Let him go, and hug him, let him say goodbye.
    truthrowan

Answer by truthrowan at 3:01 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Thanks all! I knew in my heart I was making the right choice but really needed the reassurance.
    mikeysmom1980

Answer by mikeysmom1980 at 7:30 AM on May. 5, 2010

• We let our four year old be in the room when we put our Shih Tzu to sleep many years ago. She understood what was going on and wanted to say goodbye.

She handled it better then either myself or my husband did. He sounds like he is very mature and will be able to handle this.

A word of advice....make sure someone is petting the dog while the drug is being administered. It sounds wierd, but it seems to ease the dog. I pet our shih tzu through the entire procedure. I am sure our boy knew we were there because when I started to pet him and say his name softly, he gave a little wag of his tail. Almost imperceptible it was so tiny. He was so sick and so drugged up to keep him free from pain...but yet somehow, he knew I was there...

My husband and I were both floored when my then four year old said Mommy, don't worry, he is happy now and he loves you for doing what was best for him.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:32 AM on May. 5, 2010