What's the catch on getting your "free" credit report?

As I'm watching the numerous TV ads about free credit report. I was wondering which one should I pick. Should I expect to be charged? I'm sooooooo regretting having to open a credit card account (s).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• You can get a free credit report from the government website anyway. You get one from each reporting agnecy each year. You pay a little extra if you want your score, I think $9. But for the TV ones you have to join their service and set up automatic payments from your credit card. This is the site you want...

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:42 AM on May. 5, 2010

• everytime you get a credit report,your credit will go down just a little bit not much to do anything bad to your score
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Anonymous
    everytime you get a credit report,your credit will go down just a little bit not much to do anything bad to your score

YOu don't say! Do you have a link or something. I should have heard my aunt when she said nothing good comes from getting a credit card. op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Your credit score doesn't go down when you check it, it's when you get inquires. go to annualcreditreport.com they don't ask for a credit card at all. The other ones do ask for one and sign you up and you have to call again later and argue to cancel. I argued with a woman once for 15 minutes before she finally stopped trying to talk me into keeping it to protect my credit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Those "free" credit report things are a joke. Your first one is free...but you have to give your card info so they can charge you every month. Granted it may not be very much and it is good to stay on top of your credit. But, just seems like a waste to me. And yes, every time you have an inquiry into your credit it goes down. Like, if you apply for a credit card they inquire about your credit...it goes down whether you get the card or not.

You are allowed to see your credit for free once a year from the three top companies. But, this does not include your credit score. The website is www.annualcreditreport.com . Hope that helps.
    roxy11011

Answer by roxy11011 at 12:58 AM on May. 5, 2010

• your credit does get pinged,
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:15 AM on May. 5, 2010

• NO your credit report does NOT get hit when you check it yourself! geez I hate it when people give such bad advice.
    I use a service called www.mycreditkeeper.com it is 9.99 a month and you get your updated credit report every month, credit monitoring and they help you file a dispute for any inaccurate info.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 8:45 AM on May. 5, 2010

• If you use annualcreditreport.com you get one free credit report per year from each of the three credit bureaus. Credit score is a small fee. There is no catch. And it does not harm your credit to check it yourself. It does harm it to open up new accounts or have someone else like a bank or credit card agency check it.

If you use a service that monitors your credit and alerts you to changes or lets you see your report whenever you want, then you have to pay and be enrolled in their program.

Read the fine print before going with any of them.

HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:57 AM on May. 5, 2010

• It does NOT ding your credit to check you report. It DOES ding your credit to have other people inquiring about your credit when YOU gave them permission too.

Anyway annualcreditreport.com is the ONLY place to go to get a free credit report without paying for it and without getting scammed. You can pull your credit report once a year for free from each of the three credit bureaus.
    Anonymous