"Whiney phase" at 14 months?

My 14 mo is so whiney. He whines about everything! It's like his version of talking. He points at stuff and wants things and if I don't give it to him (ie: scissors, unsafe items, choking items, etc.) he throws a tantrum.

It's starting to get on my nerves and I find myself just ignoring him sometimes and he has a tantrum and I do the exact wrong thing I think.. I hug him and shush him til he stops.

How do you deal with tantrums and constant whining? Am I doing the right thing hugging and shushing?

Maybe he's getting his molars he's been chewing on a lot of things?

Will this get better when he starts talking more?

I want to babywear him but anymore the weight of him in my mei tei causes me to have horrible back spasms and I can't even sleep. Maybe there is a better way to baby wear him? I have a very bad back (S scoliosis and herniated disks)

HELP.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well in my opinion hugging your child is never the wrong thing to do. That being said my best advice is just don't respond to the whiney behavior and definitely don't give in to tantrums. Is he walking yet? Some of this could be frustration if not and the best way to help him learn to be more mobile is by giving him opportunities. So forgive yourself for your bad back and give it a break. Really wanting something a few feet away is a great motivator to get moving and go get it. Especially if mommy isn't going to get it for you every time. Something I did with my son was when he whined if I knew what he wanted I would give him the words "ball. You want the ball? Can you say ball?" That type of thing. As he got older I told him I couldn't hear him when he whined. Lol! Just remember.. This too shall pass.
    mikeysmom1980

Answer by mikeysmom1980 at 1:11 AM on May. 5, 2010

• My 14 month old is going through the same phase. She is getting her molars in and I assume that has some to do with it. But, it still drives me crazy. If she's throwing a huge tantrum and I can't distract her or calm her down, she gets put in a "timeout". We put her in her crib for a few minutes with no toys, just some soft music and that REALLY helps. She'll calm down and be ready to come back down and play.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I'm having the same problem momma. DS whines ALL the time! I try to ignore it and that sends him into screaming tantrums. I'm sure the neighbors think I beat him the way he screams sometimes. So then I pick him up and try to shush him and that either works because he is getting the attention he wants which is bad in that it's like I'm ok'ing the tantrum or it won't work and he keeps whining and reaching for something he can't have. It is a frustrating stage. He won't let me do anything around the house. He tries to push me away from the sink when I wash dishes or even when I'm brushing my teeth! Ugh! It is very frustrating some days but I keep telling myself "This too shall pass..." :) Good luck momma
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 4:01 PM on May. 6, 2010