What age do you think is appropriate?

I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old. We live in a neighborhood where the kids from the area are always outside playing without any supervision. We have lived here since January and I have not met any of the other parents but the kids will come over to our house and ask to play. I am uncomfortable letting them come inside since I don't know there parents, so they all play outside and what not. I am just wondering at what age do you let your kid go outside to play without me being out there with them? I am wondering if I am being overly protective since I don't ever see any other parents outside. What do you guys do with your kids? Do you let them play outside while you are inside?

chrissy780

Asked by chrissy780 at 1:07 AM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Four and six is way to young to be out side alone. i would not risk something happening to one of my children. you never know what could happen.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 1:12 AM on May. 5, 2010

• My son will be seven soon and there is no way he would be playing outside unsupervised. Maybe in another year or so if we have a fenced in yard and I can see him from the window of the room I am in. And I don't care if people do call me overprotective!
    mikeysmom1980

Answer by mikeysmom1980 at 1:20 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I would totally just go down and watch them. Hey who knows maybe you will influence other parents to be more responsible also. Protect your children first and foremost, no matter what anyone thinks. You never know, you may be saving the lives of their children too. Too many children are snatched up every day!!!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:26 AM on May. 5, 2010

• my daughter just turned 6, and she has been playing outside by herself since she was 3..we have a fenced in backyard tho..and 3 dogs that will bark if anyone even comes near our driveway..however, she is NOT allowed in the front yard by herself..with that being said, half the time she is outside, so am i..and if im not, its usually cause i send her outside while i clean the kitchen, or wash the floors, and if thats the case i can see her perfectly fine thru my kitchen windows, plus whenever she is outside, i keep my door open, so i can hear her.

as for the friends coming over, she has to ask me if shes allowed to go next door, or ask me if they can come over..a couple weeks ago we had 2 kids come to our door asking to play with my daughter, had no idea where they were from, who they are, who there parents are..they said they lived a couple houses down..they knew my daughters name, but yet they...cont....
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:32 AM on May. 5, 2010

• go to a different school...they lied to me about their names..one was about 10, the other was 7..(at least thats what they said) but yaa, they came over, into my backyard and played with my daughter..then again the next day..and then they asked if my dd could go to their house, i said no...obviously..and we havent seen them since...or heard from them...so.....yaaaa next time i will make sure i find out who their parents are and what not...cuz ya just never know sometimes...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:34 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Mine was outside alone at 4. We live way off the road.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:37 AM on May. 5, 2010

• My kids are 6 5 4 they play outside only if me or my hubby are out doing yard work or cleaning our car .
    JanetPG

Answer by JanetPG at 2:15 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I've let my kids at that age 4, 5, 6 etc. play outside alone IN MY BACKYARD! There is now way I would let them go to the neighbors by themselves. My kids are 8 and 9 and I still have the same policy now. In and around OUR yard/property fine! There is no way they would go off to the neighbors without me.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:19 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Have the kids that come over take you to their house so you can meet their folks and make sure they are ok with their kid playing inside your house.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 2:33 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Mine are 6 and 2 and go out side without me. But they can only play in the back where I can see them from inside and our house is on a private dead end street in a very quiet neighborhood where everyone knows everyone and our town is very small with a population of about 2,000. If I didn't know my neighbors and it was a bigger town and busier neighborhood, then no, I wouldn't let them go out without me and I would never let them go play at the house of a stranger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on May. 5, 2010