i have tried everything to get my 5 year old to stop sucking on a pacifier! does any1 have any more ideas? its driving me crazy!1

Star84123st

Asked by Star84123st at 1:50 AM on May. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• um...just don't provide them anymore?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on May. 5, 2010

• take it away.....
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:57 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Besides the just take them away thing.... this what worked for my DD when she turned 4. The Binky Fairy came!! We told her that she needed to send the binky's to babies that really need them. We put all of them in a basket next to her bed & when she woke up there was a few new special toys & a new stuffy to hug. I also sprinkled some glitter around the room to make it look like a fairy had actually been there! That next night she went to sleep with the new stuffy & some other toys in her hands and she never even made a fuss about not having the binky's!! ;o) Good luck!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:58 AM on May. 5, 2010

• If they are not in your home he cant use them. throw them all away it could damage his permanent teeth.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 2:00 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Explain that he is 5 and 5 yr olds don't use things that babies use...explain to him that you refuse to let a big boy use something that is meant for babies.

My son refused to give up diapers and always peed everywhwere! if he did not have them on....So one day i walked him into the baby area and asked him if he was a baby, he said no then I said well this is where I have to buy diapers and your not a baby...so why are you using something that is meant for babies...he said he didn't know...so I asked him if he was ready to be a big guy and not use those baby diapers...he said he didn't want to have baby stuff and wanted to be a big guy like his dad and so from there he gave up the diapers...you know if you talk to your kid in a matter of fact way and treat them like a big kid they respond to that and from there are ready to grow onto the next step
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on May. 5, 2010

• also my oldest daughter who is autistic...she had hers until she was 4 yrs old and went to the dentist and the dentist talked to her about throwing away the paci when she got home and when we got home we went to the garbage and said goodbye to it...just like the dentist had asked
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i like the fairy idea. i like that it gives them the chance to "help" someone else! that is great!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:35 AM on May. 5, 2010

• The fairy idea sounds like a good one. Other than that, the best I've got is just to take them away. At 5, yes, there may be a fit, but really he/she should be old enough to understand that they do not need it anymore.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:21 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Ya use the fairy idea... Tht sounds like it work really good!! If not throw them out!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Throw it away.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:22 AM on May. 5, 2010