Would you be irritated if your MIL did this?

My MIL had her thyroid removed a few years ago, and recently there were some sort of precancerous cells found that she had removed. Her tests came back negative for cancer or precancerous cells. She built up this story to her 70 year old Mom & her friends that she HAD cancer, scaring the crap out of them! Then after they were bawling she mentions that it's gone. We didn't say anything to our kids, because there was no need to worry them about a chance of cancer. Two weeks after the all clear, my sons came home from her house upset that, "Mamaw is gonna die" because she told them she had cancer and proceeded to tell them about all the people they know who've died from it. OK, if she had cancer, and she was going to die, WE as their parents would try to prepare them. She had the PREcancerous cells removed but all a 10 and 7 year old are gonna hear is that she was sick. I don't get this. Why alarm every one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sounds like she relishes being the center of attention, and what better way to get sympathy and attention than play up being 'sick' or having an 'illness'.
    That type of attention-seeking behavior irritates me to no end, and I really don't like being around people like that or listening to their 'poor me' stories.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:28 AM on May. 5, 2010

• She's just looking for drama. I would tell your children that grandma is ok, maybe a little sick in the head but she's ok. She's probably scared herself and wants everyone to faun over her and baby her. I have a gma like that :) I would just ignore it. Once she sees that no one is playing into her games she will stop.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:01 AM on May. 5, 2010

• OP here~LOL! I know that's right. I understand her being scared, but to terrify little kids and old ladies for sympathy is just wrong. Especially when she already told every one from the beginning that it wasn't cancer. Even if the diagnosis changed, why on earth tell my kids AFTER it's gone? If she just wants interaction with the family, then she should pick up the phone or answer the door when we are trying to get in touch with her. She only talks to the family on HER time and HER terms. Otherwise she is out gambling away her disability check.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on May. 5, 2010

• BUMP
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 2:30 AM on May. 5, 2010

• She wants the attention. I hate people like her. She'll regret crying wolf if she ever really does get sick.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 4:28 AM on May. 5, 2010

• She likes the attention plain and simple. We have a family memeber tha over dramatizes everything and we all just ignore her now when she whines and complains. I know some day it is going to bite her because she is actually going to be really sick, but she has cried wolf too many times for us to really listen anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on May. 5, 2010