Tough question spanking or no spanking???

I think their is a difference between spanking and beating. I do believe in spanking and it does work for my children.

JanetPG

Asked by JanetPG at 2:09 AM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• why would you hit your child? do you like to be hit? it is not right. there are other ways to teach the right thing, and using force is not it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Of course there is a differance. beating a child is taking your anger out on them. spanking is wiping them when they are doing something that could hurt them or someone else. i dont believe in putting my hand on my child because i could not imagine inflicting pain on my child that i love so much there are much better ways to in about it.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 2:18 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i cant imagine any kind of use of force not coming from some sort of anger. i have said it before, why would you ever want to wip, spank, hit, pop, slap, belt or punch your child. it is all the same to me. i am totaly against anything like that. i dont agree or understand parents who would. it did not feel good to get treated that way as a child, and i would never make my daughter feel that way. no way.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:27 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i spank!! doesnt happen often, but, i will..and i do.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:34 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I don't like either. How do you hit a child from a loving heart -if you spank it is your anger out of control, so what are you teaching them, that when you get really angry it's okay to hit someone smaller than you.
    I admit I used to smack occasionally, and I always feel sick after, because I know it isn't coming from a loving discipline heart, it is coming from anger. The only time I think a smack is appropriate is when a child is in mortal danger - like constantly running on the road, or towards an open fire. Otherwise, you as an adult have to teach restraint even in anger, if you expect your child to learn that same skill.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:40 AM on May. 5, 2010

• But if the child is running on the road in danger of being hit by a car why spank him why not hug them kiss them be thankful that they are alive?? Why because you have to make them be afraid to go on the road AND my discpline comes from the heart. I always get 'Your children are so well behaved ' everywhere i go grocery store, to fill out tax forms, school enrollments, activities etc. I don't spank because they dropped the pizza on the floor I spank when they are not listening and in danger of Death when they are disrespectful I spank i don't whip i do not punch kick bite or slap.
    JanetPG

Answer by JanetPG at 2:59 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I think children should be treated the same way you treat everyone else - with respect. I feel sorry for kids - people are "allowed" to hit them, scream at them and punish them.

I will never make my child be a certain way out of fear ever.

You do NOT have to scare a child into keeping away from the road at all.

Read Raising Our Childre, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort - it might just change your mind.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:36 AM on May. 5, 2010

• There is a difference between spanking and beating. And I believe in spanking. And to the first Anon, nobody likes to be hit, that's why spanking works.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 6:55 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Exactly flaggot13. My child is only 9months so of course I dont whip or spank her (yet) but when she is old enough to know right from wrong i will. It would be a LAST RESORT type of thing but I will.
    TieraniMommy

Answer by TieraniMommy at 9:50 AM on May. 5, 2010