Do you have a shower for baby #2?

Just curious whether or not people have showers after the 1st baby. Maybe it's more acceptable if you had a big space between pregnancies like 10 years? Or if the second baby is a different sex from the 1st?

What's the norm?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The baby shower police are not going to come knocking on your door if you have a 2nd baby shower. I've had a baby shower for all 3 of my kids, and my best friends are already planning one for this baby. If friends and family want to throw you another one, let 'em! If someone is so stuck up they have an issue with it...they don't have to come! The only thing I do differently than I did with my first, is I don't register for gifts. Even though i'd basically been starting over with my last 2, I still bought all the necessities, so any gifts recieved were extras. Nice gestures from the people who love and care about us. And I'm not ashamed darnit! I have FANTASTIC people in my life who love me and my kids beyond words. If they want to plan me a baby shower, I won't decline, but I don't expect it either.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:27 AM on May. 5, 2010

• just like you said if its a differant sex or far apart in age. then yes.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 3:41 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Yes you do it is sorta a welcoming thing.I think anyways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on May. 5, 2010

• everyone i know has always had a babyshower for all there kids.. didnt matter if it was a different sex or how many years where inbetween. we've always seen it as a pre welcoming for the baby.
    mrsdemchuck

Answer by mrsdemchuck at 3:56 AM on May. 5, 2010

• mine will be 6 years apart and different sexes.. so yep I am getting a shower :)
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 7:49 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Of course!!! The gifts are for the baby and it is not his or her fault he/she was born 3rd instead of 1st! Each child is a blessing and should receive a welcome no matter what the sex, years apart or birth order.
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 8:07 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Personally I find it wrong to have a shower for a second baby unless there is a large gap 5+ years. Most things you get at a shower are good for any gender (except the clothes) so you don't need those again. Our family has "welcome baby parties" for ALL babies though after they are born (this is on top of the shower if it is a first child). It happens about 2 months after birth and there are NO gifts expected, but for 2nd and 3rd etc small gifts like clothes are often given. We also have a mother blessing for each child BEFORE the birth, but this is NOT a shower in any way. It is pampering of mom with her closest friends and family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on May. 5, 2010

• with my first my dad's side of the family was going to throw me one but nobody could coordinate a time so they just all dropped by the house and brought gifts at random times...with second nothing was ever done...then for third we moved back to where I grew up and my sister threw me a surprise one...she told me it was a jewelry party and when i got there early she told me to go pick up my grandma...complete surprise...which is how I think it should be...or at least dont throw one for yourself is how i see it...but if someone wants to give you one there is def nothing wrong...i like the idea of the welcoming baby party with no gifts expected..takes the pressure off your guests
    Mom2LexiNJordan

Answer by Mom2LexiNJordan at 8:31 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I had two for each baby... Before you jump all over me, my kids are 11 years apart... For my first baby, my best friend threw me a Shower for our friends.. My Mom's best friend and she threw me one for their friends and our family... I had no part in planning either... For my second baby, born 11 years later... My Mom, Best Friend and Mother In Law, and sisters in law threw me a HUGE one, and we had 70-something people there.. I knew about that one, because I live 4 hours away from all of them.. My friends up in Maine threw me one too.. I got a lot of hand made, knitted, sewn gifts... Truly, I was touched and appreciated all everyone did for me.. Sometimes, people are loved, and their family & friends rally around them, and do nice things for each other.. Without being asked..
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 8:51 AM on May. 5, 2010

• yes..planned it myself :) My family lives 3000 miles away.I invited 6 friends and we ate cake,silly games.finger foods.Its was pretty fun..My friend was going to do it but then asked me for 500 bucks.So i just planned it myself :) I also had my babies 2007 and then in 2009. I didnt save anything because we had moved and I didnt have a place for ANYTHING with only 2 bedrooms at the time. I didnt even save my 2nd babies items(We mostly got cloths and a car seat.WE BOUGHT EVERYTHING ELSE).I just dont have the room.we want a 3rd baby(someday) and I dont expect a shower this time AT ALL..

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:55 AM on May. 5, 2010