This girl at work is pregnant and ...

She has no friends at work because of the way she acts. She thinks she has it harder than any other pregnant person. Is always complaining about something and is annoying and thinks she should not have to do anything because she is pregnant. Well the other day she came in and handed everyone a list of what to get her for her baby shower (no one even mentioned anything about giving her a baby shower) she just assumed that we were. The list had very expensive gifts on there and she told everyone only to get gifts from the list and she did not want money (like they did for me) i cant believe she had the nerve to do this. I dont know how to handle this i really dont want to get her anything but i know if i dont she will be asking me where was the gift from me. What should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• I started working at 36 weeks pregnant. No one knew me. I had just moved to a new country with my DH (he's military) and I didn't get a baby shower. It really made me sad that no one even brought it up. No one really even talked to me much except asking when the baby was due.
    After experiencing this, I know that it doesn't kill anyone to not have a baby shower. We bought everything ourselves, and I would not have gotten pregnant if we couldn't afford to do that. It doesn't sound like this girl deserves an expensive present. I would buy something small not on the list, and if she doesn't like.. she can hand it right back to you... cuz she doesn't have to accept a GIFT!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 AM on May. 5, 2010

• just don't go! Here's a reality check for her, it might be the best thing for her. At my workplace 16 yrs ago, it was tradition on someones last day they had a three hour lunch at a nearby cafe/ restaurant &everyone came on their lunch break to have lunch & celebrate. I was pregnant with my first, on my last day only three people came to have lunch. Imagine that! Whilst I was hurt at the time I've realised that I wasn't a pleasant person to be around. I whined & complained, my workload was always a drama, & I'd carried on like an immature twit. So this was a representation of how many friends I had at work.
    Over the years that memory has come back & back, putting me back on track, keeping me in check.
    Now I am not sure any of my work colleagues would recognise me, I have 4 kids, one with ASD, I run an online craft business and design for magazines, studying nursing, & have realised the world doesn't spin around me!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:13 AM on May. 5, 2010

• If you don't want to get her anything, don't. So what if she asks you about it. She is the one being offensive, not you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Maybe she cant afford the more expensive things and thats why shes asking for them. The nice thing to do would be to buy her a gift. If you cant afford much then maybe pitch in with the other co workers and buy one of the more expensive things or just buy her a pack of diapers, every mom could use those.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:08 AM on May. 5, 2010

• How old are you? Just curious, this sounds really silly lol
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:11 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Just buy her a bag of diapers.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:29 AM on May. 5, 2010

• It's only fair to reciprocate. Otherwise, you'll end up looking like the petty one. You can bet that if she got you a gift, or contributed towards one, and you fail to do in kind, she will let everyone know it. So get her something nice, grin and bear it, and don't give her an excuse to be resentful.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 8:10 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Well I think it is just way to RUDE of her to even had ask for a baby shower then gives a list. Hello wht is wrong with tht lady!! I say if you deside to go to this baby shower then get her wht you want. Bag a diapers sounds good to me or a couple little things like washcloths ect... I still think it is just RUDE of her...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i wouldnt get her shit
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:32 AM on May. 5, 2010

• if she thinks she just has it SO bad, tell her about your friend who ended up pregnant in germany, stuck on bed rest for 19 days in a german hospital where she could barely understand anything anyone said and had to get shots in her thighs twice a day and had to eat nasty german hospital food, but it ididn't matter anyway cause she threw up so much she lost 20 pounds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on May. 5, 2010