Death explained

How would you explain to a child that they are dying from a terminal illness and there was nothing the doctors had to cure them?

Would it be different depending on the child's age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• What disease, how old, what sex, and how mentally mature are they?
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 6:34 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Say around 4 or 5 years old....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I don't know what I would say, or if I would say anything. I guess it would depend on if they were in the hospital and for sure not coming home or coming home with hospice or if they were ok now but could turn at any time. Also what you believe as far as God and what you have taught your child. Not sure age would play a part in it, think it would depend on maturity.

My kids believe in God and have lost a pet and family members so I would tell them they are going home to God and will see family and the pet they lost. I would also tell them I love them and will never stop loving them or forget them. Not sure on telling them there is no cure, maybe if asked? I would tell them it is alright to stop fighting.

tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 1:08 PM on May. 5, 2010

• PBS just had a special on with Katie Couric and Elmo that helped to explain everything there was about death and how it affects people within a familial unit. Maybe you could Google it and find out when/if it'll be on again and watch the program with the child....from the small portion I saw (about 15 minutes worth) it looked incredibly compassionate and uplifting.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 4:38 PM on May. 5, 2010

• 1. I'd get into family counseling together and have them help you
    2. also ask the therapist and doctor, librarian, book stores to show you books on this and buy the ones you like so the kids can read them again and again. If the child is very young, make sure the illustrations are portraying what you want to get across. I like to look up books on amazon because others have listed their comments and opinions on the books, so you can get a feel for them
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:12 AM on May. 6, 2010