Is my carseat installed right?

I have a newborn baby and one of those carseats that has a base with the carrier that you just pull out. My husband says that you just put the seatbelt through the base and thats it. I thought you put something through the base and then over the carrier part too. Any one know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it depends on the carseat. I know that on ours, you strapped the base in and that was it. Because the carseat locked onto the base.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 6:17 AM on May. 5, 2010

• There might need to be a clip of some sort on your seatbelt, depending on the kind of belt you have. You can read the instructions in the car seat manual. Or the car manual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on May. 5, 2010

• our carseat had a little metal looking clip for the seatbelt that kept the belt from moving once you got it the right length and then you put it through the base. Then nothing else goes over the actual carseat itself. You can call the fire dept. and see when you can get it in to have them check it but here it is like a month or two wait to do that. Sometimes babies r us runs a car seat check day. You can call your local one if you have one and see when that is.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:41 AM on May. 5, 2010

• if you call your local hospital (childrens or the one where you delivered) many of them offer free childseat checks to be sure you are safe. i had a hand me down graco carseat (like you described) i reordered the product manual from the company because i took it all apart to wash it and couldnt be sure i put it back together right. it also told you how to strap it in right. mine just used the seatbelt around the base. and the top baby carrier part locked in. toys r us/ babies r us will also check it for free too. you should also know that those carriers also lock into the child seat of grocery store carts if the size matches (most normal ones do.) which i didnt realize until my baby was about 6 months old. i had been putting it in the base of the cart. not leaving much room for the food! i was just trying to be safe... felt stupid when i figured that out.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:44 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Yes, if you install the base, the there is nothing that goes over the carrier itself. Depend on the year of your car, you probably dont need the locking clip. If the seatbelt locks, then you dont need it.
    Look here for a CPST near you. Remember they should TEACH you to install your seat and YOU should be the last one to touch it before you leave.
    https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap.bin/apps/assess/webmembers/tool?pToolCode=TAB9&pCategory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=safekidscertSQL
    MommyBoha

Answer by MommyBoha at 8:19 AM on May. 5, 2010

• In most cities you can go to the fire department and have them look it over and make sure it's installed right. Plus when you left the hospital the nurse should have looked it over and made sure it was correct.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:28 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I would take it to the fire department where they have someone trained to install carseats correctly. I am very lucky because my father in law is a trained carseat installer with the police department and he checks our carseats regularly and has taught us how to install them correctly, but even with that, there have been times he has had to fix our seats because they weren't in the car tight enough, not at the right angel or other issues. The fact is, most carseats are install wrong and that can cause serious injury to your baby. Just drive your car to the local fire department and they will make sure it is in correctly and should show you how to put it in correctly incase you have to move the carseat.
    aydansmomma04

Answer by aydansmomma04 at 8:32 AM on May. 5, 2010

• If you use a base you just click in the car seat(So you can take the car seat in and out) BUT I have never used the belt before.I always use the Anchors.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:43 AM on May. 5, 2010

• ok I dont think Anchors is the word im looking for.Teethers..teeters..OMG
    Im sure one of you NICE ladies know what I am trying to say right now..Its to early for this :P
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:45 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I would defiantly listen to MommyBoha, she knows her stuff!
    Also you should join the Car Seat Safety Group here on cafemom!
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739
    La-Belle-Vie

Answer by La-Belle-Vie at 9:04 AM on May. 5, 2010