Question about GD..

Im wondering if at 36 weeks, my sugar numbers have started becoming hard to control with just diet on the past week, does that mean they will put me on insulin for the next 3 weeks (im to be induced at 39wks)?

My glucose scores have been really good with diet, i havnt changed anything i eat but the scores just keep going up higher now. I just dont understand it, doesnt make sense to me... Enless the farther along you are the higher it gets anyways?

Im just worried about going on insulin because of how that effects the baby right after birth :( Iv tryed really really hard to stick strickly to my diet... Its very upsetting to me

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 7:55 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As your pregnancy progresses it does typicaly become harder to control your diabetes. If you are seeing an Endo that has a better safe than sorry attitude it's possible you may be put on insulin. But there are some drugs that ARE safe to take. One like Glyburide.....which is a drug that helps your body produce my insulin doesn't cross into the baby. I took that along with Metformin during my last pregnancy and Katelyn was born 100% healthy almost 5 months ago. She only had a touch of low blood sugar at birth because I had excellent control.

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:00 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I also took glyburide rather than insulin. It's an oral medication, and although it CAN cause hypoglycemia it is much less common than with insulin. I was able to control my GD with diet during my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, but have needed the glyburide along with the diet to help during my 4th and currently 5th pregnancies. Your numbers do typically go up as you get later in pregnancy. If they recommend medication, ask what the effects of the meds are vs the effects of just "letting it go" for 3 weeks.

Answer by missanc at 8:04 AM on May. 5, 2010