home schooling question?

I was just wondering how much does it cost you per year to home school your child?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 8:08 AM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• nothing. k-12 is free. the only thing you buy is supplies like paper, pencils ect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on May. 5, 2010

• We have recently started a kindergarten curriculum with my 4 year old. We did not have to buy a formal curriculum because my sister is a teacher (I have also talked to many moms that do their own curriculum which is a lot cheaper than buying one) but we have spent a few hundred dollars on school supplies.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 8:41 AM on May. 5, 2010

• It costs as much as you want it to cost. Purchasing a traditional curriculum can be expensive (I paid under $300 for two kids this year), tuition for an online or virtual school can cost money (my 8th grader's virtual school will cost almost $900 this next school year), but you can also put together your own program based on the world of free information on the internet. There are many, many sites that have worksheets you can print off, lessons and questions you can interact with online, and even youtube.com has tutorials for various subjects. All FREE.

As for school supplies, you'd have to buy them for public or private school anyway. I hit the back to school sales and usually spend less than $50 for school supplies for 3 tweens.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:57 AM on May. 5, 2010

• It can cost anything from free to thousands of dollars. We're somewhere in the middle, LOL!! We use an online program which costs $35 a month ( that's for both kids),it's called www.Time4Learning.com. We also use free unit studies from www.homeschoolshare.com and a very inexpensive book called Beyond Five in a Row. I got it for less than $10 from a used curriculum site, www.homeschoolclassifieds.com. We also use Growing with Grammar and Soaring with Spelling. All those books, for both kids, cost less than $100 from the company website. You can get used books from ebay and amazon and the public library is always free. We buy our school supplies at the end of summer when all the stores have them on sale and it costs less than $30 for both kids for supplies for the whole year. The internet is literally full of free homeschooling resources. I have a ton of links if you want to pm me.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:02 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Cost is totally depended on what you use or how you go about it. I'm finishing up my 2nd year homeschooling (I have 2 kids) and have spent $300-400 PER YEAR on curriculum materials for the kids plus another $100-$200 for co-op and other classes. I've already started to plan out my 3rd year of homeschooling and will only spend $80 for Total Reader ($40 for each kid) and $40 for a math work books ($20 per kid); The rest of it science, grammar, reading, history, is going to be covered using FREE materials I got from the History Channel, such as the America the Story of Us complete DVD, Internet sites such as curriclick, resources at my local library, and material that I haven't completely finish using for the last 2 years. I know I'm hitting the appropriate targets by using standards found on various sites such as my state's education website. So this coming school year will be $60 per child $100 per child for co-ops.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:27 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I wanted to add that my kids do swimming, soccer, and other sports. Even though I count those towards our PE requirement, I've never counted them towards the cost of our homeschooling. This is because my kids did those thing when they WERE in Public School too. So I would still have those cost even if I was sending them to public school.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:28 PM on May. 5, 2010