Should a first grader be told what sex is?

The mother of a girl in my daughter's first grade class had the birds-and-the-bees, where-do-babies-come-from talk with her daughter. I don't want my daughter learning what sex is in first grade. The mother says her daughter was ready. What to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on May. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• home-school or get used to it. i know how you feel. everyone thinks i'm a whack job because i want my children to remain innocent as long as possible. who in their right mind says a 6 or 7 year old is ready to know about sex?

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 8:23 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I understand your concern but I don't think 5 yr olds spend recess time talking about it.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 8:40 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I learned more about sex on the bus in first grade than in school. It was very disturbing to me and confused me. I wish my mother would have told me instead of the altered viewpoint I got from the older kids on the bus.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:45 AM on May. 5, 2010

• We've been through this. Keep an open line of dialogue with your child. And if something should come up talk her in ways that she can understand. The best way is ask her questions, like well what do you think? This will happen on many subjects Some parents forget that they are just children and discuss things shouldn't in front them or with them. Your other option is to try to keep them in a plastic bubble away from the world. Then you end up with adults who don't know how to handle the world and do very stupid things.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:52 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Energ8zr...most 1st graders are 6 and 7 not 5 btw...Many girls are starting their cycles at 8 and 9 years old. You as a mother need to make the best decision for them but also realize that they will hear things from other children no matter what you try to do as a parent. I think that you have to realize whether your child is old enough to know or not. I am pregnant right now with my 5th child and my oldest is 8. I have not discussed much with her. She doesn't know anything about how the baby got there but doesn't question it. Also the kids don't ask how the baby comes out so we don't discuss that either. When they start asking quesitons then I will consider it time to answer them.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 9:16 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I unfortunately had too. DD's 10 year old neighbor decided to tell her all about the birds & the bees when her mom was watching my DD. When i told her Dr. about this, her Dr. said that it may be early, but it's so much better to hear it from mom than the girl next door. She suggested i talk to her about it....and i did. She is 8 now, she never told anyone in school. She thinks its gross & does not want to talk about it. She is a normal kid though, not traumatized or anything.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:18 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I would rather have my child hear things from me then have kids on the bus explain things. Lord only knows what that would sound like! I don't think that you should sit them down for a big lecture, but I will answer any questions that my daughter asks. I don't want her to be traumatized or anything from some kid she rides the bus with.
    JoMcD

Answer by JoMcD at 9:37 AM on May. 5, 2010

• This is one huge reason I homeschool!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on May. 5, 2010

• btw, by fourth grade, many public school children are already having sex - so maybe they should know by then if they are in ps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on May. 5, 2010

• "home-school or get used to it. i know how you feel. everyone thinks i'm a whack job because i want my children to remain innocent as long as possible. who in their right mind says a 6 or 7 year old is ready to know about sex?"

A) Learning about bodily functions does not strip a child of their innocence.
    B) Anyone who can not have open, honest, age appropriate dialogue about sex with their child beginning from the moment that they realize they don't have the same parts as mommy/daddy is out of their mind.
    C) Most assaults on little girls do not take place at school, they take place while they are at church, a friends house, at home... EVEN at the play place. They NEED to know what sex is (every child does).

My DD just turned 9, and is already developing... I started my cycle when I was 10... WHY would a mother want their child to be unprepared?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:58 AM on May. 5, 2010