PAPPAP WARS!!!!!!

My son is 16 months old and loves his pappap but I can't get him to stop wanting it...I had him just taking it when he layed down for naps and bed ...now well everytime he sees one he has to have it.When some of the family see it in his mouth they take it out....Im ok with that I just need to know how to get him from needing it befor it messes up his teeth......thanks......

AMBER2520

Asked by AMBER2520 at 9:00 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him have it at night and during naptime. During the day put it up.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:35 AM on May. 5, 2010

• He's 16 months. It's not that big of a deal. If it soothes him, let him have it at naptime and at night.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 10:17 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Most kids have a non-nutritive sucking NEED until at least 18 months sometimes even longer. And most pediatric dentists will tell you that it won't hurt their teeth until the have permanent ones or unless they are constantly sucking on it and never get a break. He won't take it forever. I wouldn't worry about it yet. You can worry about it right before school. More than likely, he will give it up by then anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:27 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I agree with BradenIsMySon about the sucking need, and just wanted to add that my niece is a dental assistant and still couldn't get her son off his paci until about 27 months. It was a battle of the minds, not the wills, because she didn't want to just take it away before he was willing to give it up. He was off bottles, potty-trained, and this was the "last" thing to go. He was perfect teeth, and gave it up on his own.

I wouldn't worry about it, and I ESPECIALLY wouldn't allow others to take it out of his mouth. That would offend me greatly that someone would do that to my child. They grow up fast enough, he's a baby, let him have it. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:48 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I only let my 12mo have it on car rides, nap time and bed time. At daycare they put it high on a shelf and only let him have it at nap time. My plan for removing it is to cut the tip down slowly over a period of a few weeks until there is nothing left. I will do this at the same time that his daycare makes him get rid of it, at around 15-18 months.
    Vins_mom09

Answer by Vins_mom09 at 12:29 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I do agree that it is not a problem for his teeth at this point, but having in in all day while he is awake can delay speech development. My pediatrician explained that a child with a pacifier in his mouth all day long did not get enough practice talking. He told me it was fine to let my babies use them in bed as long as they wanted, but around one year I needed to start limiting daytime use. Around one year we started only allowing pacifiers at bedtime, nap time, and in the car. I made it a point of hiding their pacifiers first thing in the morning (out of sight - out of mind). Around 18 to 20 months we stopped using them for naps and in the car, and then around 22 months we were able to ditch them all together without too much difficulty. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:25 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Thank ya'll so much I have been worried about it.And I will use this advice...I needed to know that I was doing this right because my first son never took a pappap or his thumb!!!!
    AMBER2520

Answer by AMBER2520 at 7:05 PM on May. 5, 2010