Should I start my baby on solids at 4 or 6 months?

Why the difference of opinion?

acurran88

Asked by acurran88 at 9:03 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its best that a BF baby get as much BM exclsuively for as long as possible. When solids are started before 6 months the gut is still open and thus risks of allergies and other issues are higher, formula has already changed the gut so that is null point as far as FF babies. BM also changes per a babies nutritional needs so solids are not needed at all hey are just extra, formula doesn't change so formula babies often need the solids.

For BF babies minimum 6 months, for FF babies 4 months minimum
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:31 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Whenever ur baby is ready. My baby's pediatric told me that the association of pediatrics change the age to introduce solid food so whenever u feel that ur baby is ready go for it. in some countries they start at 1 month old. It s just matter of time and habits. GL
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 9:31 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I started my daughter on rice cereal at 4 months. Our ped. suggested it because she acted like she was starving all the time! She's 8 months now and is doing great. She is started on table food in addition to her regular baby food. It all deals with food allergies. Supposedly the earlier you start foods, the more allergies they can develop. I would make sure to askyour question to your ped to see what they think.
    JoMcD

Answer by JoMcD at 9:32 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I waited until 7 months. Here's my thought on it - there are a lot of studies and articles that discuss why it's bad to start before 6 months - their tummies aren't ready for it, increased risk of allergies, etc. Sure some kids do absolutely fine and yours might be one of them. But if you wait until 6 months, there's no harm done.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:39 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I would say at least 6 mos. Babies generally don't NEED anything other then breastmilk or formula until then, and it's even fine to wait longer if you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:11 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I say 6 - but only because I started my first at 4 months and she had horrible gas and constipation and was just miserable. took her off the food and she was happy. tried again at 6 months and she was fine.

#2 and #3 I didn't even bother trying until 6 months I didn't want to deal with the tummy issues their sister had. it was terrible.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:09 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 8:53 PM on May. 5, 2010