Question for Extended BF's

I know a lot of you promote self-weaning; and I really don't want an argument to develop here re: formula/BM - or about EBF being 'good' or 'bad'.

What I want to know is; is 5 years old stretching it just a bit; should a kindergartner still be BF'ing?

AND the biggie is would you (or would you allow someone else to) breastfeed another person's child (*except in extreme child is literally going to starve if not fed something*).

Sorry even if I can say; to each their own to what works for you. I find it beyond bizarre for her to BF other people's kids 'just because'...

And can you BF while preg?? Wow learn something new today!

Article below:

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• A mother who breastfeeds her five-year-old son as well as other people's babies has today insisted that she is 'doing nothing wrong'.
    Amanda Hurst says she still feeds Jonathan and is convinced she is doing 'the right thing', despite facing criticism.
    The 29-year-old said she had intended to stop when her son reached six months – like most mothers do - but continuing became the 'natural thing’.
    And, despite her critics, Mrs Hurst, who is seven months pregnant, is so convinced of the benefits of breastfeeding that she also feeds other people’s babies as well.
    The childminder said she is a ‘firm believe that breast is best’, adding that breast milk is ‘amazing’ and full of protein, fat and sugar. ‘It not only boosts Jonathan's immune system, it keeps me healthy too, by lowering my risk of breast cancer,’ she told the Mirror.

cont'd
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on May. 5, 2010

• ‘I childmind my friends' babies and, provided I've got permission, I breastfeed them too. The parents love it - it means they don't have to worry about expressing milk - I've got more than enough to go round.’

A leading parents' charity today voiced its support for Mrs Hurst, saying mothers who breastfeed older children face 'cultural opposition' to the practice.

Mrs Hurst – whose husband Roy, 31, fully supports her decision – said she only gives Jonathan ‘lellow’ – what he calls breast milk – at home after he decided to stop doing it in public when he was about three.

And she said that she has formed an ‘incredible bond’ with her son because of the practice.

‘We just never stopped,’ Mrs Hurst, from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, said. 'Breastfeeding is a quiet time for us.’

The mother of one said her son considers it a treat ‘
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on May. 5, 2010

• In my OP at age 5 this is more for the mother than the child,, I think it promotes an unhealthy attachment! My DS is 5 and he is very curious about boobies! And not for food, LOL!!! I think no, unless my kid is starving I wouldn't let a stranger BF my kiddo,,it is still a bodily fluid,, and who knows what drugs or disease the other person has! I agree 100% with you!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:11 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Having someone else breastfeed your child can also be dangerous. HIV/AIDS and other diseases can pass through breastmilk. Having someone tested would not be enough, you can get a false negative on a test or they could contract something after being tested. It just seems insane to me to give my child someone else's bodily fluid. Its gross. I breastfed both of my boys 14 months I was willing to nurse until age 2 after that I think it would make me uncomfortable.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:15 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Her life, her kids. And if she has the permission of the other parents to nurse their babies, why does anyone care?

If you look at history and other cultures, breastfeeding other peoples babies and prolonged breastfeeding were the norm, not the exception.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:32 AM on May. 5, 2010

• personally, I wonder how these things make it into the news. I'm jealous of the breastfeeding bond I share with my kids tho, and I wouldn't let someone else do it. My first two kids self weaned, I expect my third to do the same. At ten months, she's starting to slow down, and i'm guessing three or four more months. I will miss it, but it is easier to diet when you don't have to worry about milk supply or releasing ketones into the milk, so I will take my weight loss as my comfort.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:40 AM on May. 5, 2010

• confused

Blank stare would have been more appropriate to describe how I feel.  Yes it's her life and her kid; but I think the parents and she are a bit odd for the whole non-mom boob/not my kid on my boob deal

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on May. 5, 2010

• her feeding other peoples kids is between her and the other mom, personally i think its gross not unless it was a starving baby with no other way of eating. but i am really not a fan of extended breast feeding. anyone with a 5 year old that still breast feeds is a tad strange to me, i also feel its more for the mom to feel the bond than for the health of the child and i too feel it causes a unhealthy attachment to the mom, i mean what will she do when the kid goes to school and cries for the boobie?
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:04 AM on May. 5, 2010

• If i breastfed anyone else's child, i would feel like a child molester.....

I stopped at 2, no way would i have gone any further than that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:54 AM on May. 5, 2010

• It was common at one time for mothers to hire a "wet nurse". That was long before some of todays diseases appeared and to be honest it's not something I would ever do. As far as nursing a 5 year old. Strange doesn't begin to describe it, in my view. I know a lot of moms nurse up until 2. That child should be eating food just like the rest of the family. The NEED for breastmilk is long gone. He can eat regular food. I know from my Kindergartener nothing is secret or private. What do you think that child's peers say when he mentions being breastfed? I agree with whoever said it's for mom now and not the child.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:20 AM on May. 5, 2010