Would you take a 23 mo. old to the hospital to visit someone who just had surgery?

My best friend's mom just had surgery and she asked me to visit her in the daytime. Yesterday was fine, my hubby was home so he watched my girl, but today I don't have anyone to watch her, really, and she called last night to ask me to visit her again throughout the week. The tough thing is they just lost their dad/husband in December to cancer, and her mom is having a tough time being alone all day in the room because she knows he would have been there holding her hand. I want to visit but I'm afraid DD will be scared of the tubes coming out of her nose & hands & everything, and if she's not, I'm afraid she'll try to yank them out of curiosity and she'll be a handful. (She's already pulled the emergency cord in the bathroom at the YMCA when we went to the pool! ~embarassing!~) Should I just call her today to make sure she's doing OK or should I tough it out and go with DD?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 9:11 AM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would just stop by,, and I mean just stop---I took DS to hospital to visit his grandpa,, and stayed with him in my arms,, you make the call, if your worried about her being scared,, just call your friend at naptime and check on her. She might enjoy seeing your little one,,something about kids always makes you feel better,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:14 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I would go with dd and if she gets out of hand then leave. Just keep your visit short.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:13 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I would not take your daughter. The Hospitals here in NY do not allow children under a certain age to visit because they are worried about the patients getting Swine Flu & MRSA (a staph infection that is resistant to antibiotics) and it is incurable. My Dad was in the Hospital recently and this is what I was told. I have a 3 year old and was in the same situation. I also would not expose the child to the diseases in the hospital because you never know what is really there. The floors are notorious for staph. Explain this ti the nice Lady. I am sure that she would agree with not bringing the child. Next time you get a chance bring her lots of magazines & puzzles to keep her occupied and her mind off her loss. I ended up going at night to visit my Dad and he really appreciated seeing me after everyone else had gone home. Visiting is probably until 8:00 pm  :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Thank you everyone. To the anonymous responder: I know what you mean... my dad got MRSA a few years ago following a trip to Belize - I still am not sure if he got it in Belize or through a volunteer program he was involved in at the hospital. It was BAD though. I'm thankful we got through it. Hmmm... I think I'll call first and see how she sounds and if she sounds sad maybe I'll chance it and keep it a short visit. I only visited about an hour yesterday... ya kind of run out of conversation sometimes and it gets awkward, not to mention I felt bad hanging around because she's kinda dopey on the meds and I felt like I was disturbing her rest by being there. I brought her some honeysuckle trimmed from my bush and a home-made get well card from DD and she loved it.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 9:42 AM on May. 5, 2010