How to talk to my husband in letting our 4yr old start kinder next year

My youngest daughter (4) will start kindergarten in Sept. , she turns 5 at the end of Sept. which will make her elgible to attend since the cut off date is Dec. 2 of the enrolling year. I currently have my oldest in kindergarten and she was practically 4 mths shy of her 6th b-day when she entered last year. She was basically almost a year older than my other daughter is now before enetering kindergarten. My issue is that I think we should wait a year to put her in, academically I'm not sure if she'll do fine. Yes she knows her ABCs , 123s but I'm worried about what she will be expected to learn and her ability to sit and do work all day. She can barely keep still now and doesnt have a huge attention span when it comes to sitting down and listening to stories. How do I talk to my husband about this, who is all for starting her this year?

Mommyx2BG

Asked by Mommyx2BG at 9:19 AM on May. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he understand that if she starts and is not ready, she'll have to do it again? Is he prepared for her to do 2 years of kindergarten?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:21 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Why don't you have her evaluated? DS just went through this for kindergarten,, they can help you determine if she is ready or not. You might point out to DH that later in life,, she will be about a year younger than everyone who is in her class, For instance say you have a rule that you won't let her date until she is 16--all her classmates will be dating and driving an entire year before she can,, also that means she will only be 13 when she goes to high school,,,In my OP there is huge difference between 13 and 14,, she will be going to school with 18 year olds.. I am with you on this one momma,,go with your gut, and just try to reason with your hubby---point out does he want 18 year old high school boys trying to romance your 13 year old? LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:24 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I think waiting a year is a good idea. my friend sent her child young and they moved him up. they said its not the parents choice that he passed so he had to move up even though he was behind all others in the class. She has her whole life to be schooled let her have 1 more year!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:25 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Kimi- that hapened to me. I couldnt drive til my junior year in high school. I went to college at 17. Its not like i had to wait 2 months either the kids were 6 months to a year older than me. My bday is oct. 2
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:26 AM on May. 5, 2010

• my DS makes the cutoff by 5 days... we are hoping for a spot in our district's young 5's program, as his mom I know he is not emotionally ready for kindergarten
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:28 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Ria--just curious,, how did it make you feel being behind,, perhaps your insight could give Mommy2x's some ammo for her case to make to her hubby!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:32 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Thank you everyone for your support and replies. I also started kindergarten early at age 4 and struggled throughout school. Seriously, had mostly C's throughout school and didnt start to get good grades until college. Not to say that my age was a predicting factor but I just always felt behind. I just found an article that Ca is trying to pass a bill that will raise the kindergarten entry age to 5 by Sept. 1. It was unanimously passed by the Senate Education Committee and will be heard by other committees this week. If this passes, which looks hopeful, won't take effect until 2012. I guess the reason I'm so hesitant to talk to my husband about this is because I do baby her and I'm nervous he's going to think that this is my reason for holding her back and won't hear anything I have to say on the matter.
    Mommyx2BG

Answer by Mommyx2BG at 9:39 AM on May. 5, 2010

• kimi-- where would I have her evaluated? Do I talk to the school?
    Mommyx2BG

Answer by Mommyx2BG at 9:41 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I think the driving was the worst. Just the excitement of all my classmates getting a license and i had to wait out my whole sophmore year, all summer and then finally get it the beginning of my junior year. basically it just sucked. Education wise i was never behind but even when I went to college it was weird to only be 17 for awhile. I remember going ot freshman orientation and everyone was going dancing but you had to be 18 to get into dance club. I think the driving was the time i felt it the most.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:42 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Kimi and Ria are making some excellent points. I was one of the youngest in my class, and a late bloomer to boot. I graduated top of my class, so academics was never an issue. Junior high and high school were very hard times for me socially. My friends and classmates were mostly doing everything way before I was ready, which meant I was left out a lot for a few years.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on May. 5, 2010