baby shower question

I'm pregnant with baby #2 and this will be the last one. i have a 5yr old girl and this one is going to be a boy. i didnt have a shower with my daughter but i am having one with this one. no bashing but we are buying the food and whatever is needed for it because my boyfriend didnt want his sister in law to buy it all. she is going to be the host though. anyway i havent talked to her much so i was just wondering what kind of foods should i have? should i have games and prizes? or just have food,cake,drinks and visit with everyone and open gifts. i know some people do their showers differently so i was just wondering. i am 34 wks today and my shower is coming up on the 22nd.

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 9:44 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I just went to a shower and it was really cute! they had taken a plastic cup and fillied it with candy and wrapped a diaper around it and tied a balloon on it for center pieces on the table. you couldnt see the cup it just looked like a diaper with a balloon tied on it. They had sadwiches that were so yummy. It was the hawaiin rolls. Dont separate just cut the tops off the whole loaf and load wih lunch meat ham and cheese, they made a sauce of butter dijion mustard. put them on a baking sheet and drizzle with sauce and bake. it was soo good. Anyway little sandwiches are good, cupcakes, fresh fruit tray and veggie tray. You could go all finger food like little smokies with bacon wrapped with brown sugar.

one game we played was they had the babies name at the top of the page..full name and lines underneath. Had 1 minute maybe 2..to write all the words you could make with the name. It was fun.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:52 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I have only been to one baby shower and it was mine. My mom and sister threw it for me. They got a tray of deli items, cheese, meat, crackers, basically snacks. They had a cake made and served punch. We only played one game and it was the least lame one I've heard of done at showers. Everyone wrote down a word, there was no theme, it was just the first word that came to mind when they were told to write one. The little pieces of paper were put in a basket and the word drawn was told to everyone and no one could say it. If anyone slipped and said the word, the person who wrote it got a prize. My mom and sister got little things like purse sized bottles of lotion, made little baby bottles filled with soft, chewable mints and made little bags of potpurri to hand out to the guests. It was a lot of fun and not cheesy like a lot of showers are. You don't have to do lots of stuff to make it fun.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:57 AM on May. 5, 2010

• With my first we did an open house type shower and it was really nice. My mother-in-law served cheesecake and a slush drink and I just visited with people and opened presents throughout the day. It was nice to not have to worry about really catering to anyone or anything...and by that shower (it was my 4th) I wasn't in to playing games anymore. My sister threw me a shower and she did a great job. She had 3 or 4 games and just did a sheet cake and punch. It lasted about an hour, hour and a half and it was fun. Everybody came, we played games, ate cake and opened presents. We played a baby animal game, she gave everyone a list of mother animals and you had to fill in the blank with what the baby animal is called. Baby BINGO. And the one where people cut a piece of yarn to measure the size of your belly, the person that cuts the yarn and it fits around your belly the best wins! GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 5, 2010

• i agree some sandwiches cut into halves or fourths, fruit tray veggie tray, punch, and a cake.

We did the how many words game also. And the game i like the most they used a potty chair they bought us mixed a bunch of food in it, I think it was mountain dew and chopped/melted candy. And people had to take turns drinking it through a straw and try to guess what was in it, if they didn't do it they had to donate some money in a piggy bank for the baby.
    Also the melted candy in diapers game. They melt candy into diapers and everyone has to take turns looking at and smelling them trying to guess what candy is in each diaper. Prizes could just be the left over candy from the games, or lotions and stuff.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:03 AM on May. 5, 2010

• My good friends threw my last baby shower...we BBQ'd hot dogs, my mom made her famous potato salad, and chips. We did punch for the kids, and got soft drinks and water for the adults.

We only had two games, and it was the diaper game like PP mentioned. We got a bag of mini chocolate candies (hershey's bars, some had nuts, some had those crispie things in them) and we melted one candy bar in a diaper. The guests had to correctly guess what the candy was. The prize was a little lotion set. They also did the TP to guess how big I was. It was fun.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:16 AM on May. 5, 2010