How do you sew Elastic to Fabric or Ribbon and it maintain its stretch?

Ok, I am having serious issues. LOL I am trying to make Fabric and Ribbon Headband.
How do you sew elastic to fabric and have it still stretch without tearing the stitch.

I was wondering do you stretch the elastic all the way out and then cut the fabric to fit?
I would like to start making other things but I am continuing to run into this problem.

Please as detailed as possible. So Maybe I can see what I am doing wrong. Thanks!

Mommyxtwo777

Asked by Mommyxtwo777 at 10:00 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Cut the elastic to the stretched length that you want. Not all the way stretched or it will be too tight on your head. Then while maintaining the stretch, sew the fabric or ribbon to it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:16 AM on May. 5, 2010

• What if I wanted to completely enclose it... like casing?
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 11:14 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Then cut the 'sleeve' to the biggest length that you will need it to stretch. Cut the elastic to the length where it is snug but not tight when put on the head. The length of the fabric will be longer than the elastic. Thread the elastic thru the sleeve and sew both elastic and fabric in a seam. The fabric will look bunchy until it's stretched out on the head. The seam will also keep the elastic from twisting.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:26 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Wrap the elastic around your head to get desired length and cut. Measure the elastic. If elastic is 10 inches, make your fabric 20 inches, but add 2 more inches for seams. Sew fabric into a "band" with opening to slip in elastic. Close by hand sewing if you like. That s how I would do it.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:49 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Also use a stretch stitch, such as a 3 step zig zag when sewing.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:06 PM on May. 6, 2010