Being called a Liar, how would you deal with it?

What would YOU do if your PARENT called you a liar? As for me, it does not please me one bit when I DID NOT lie. Sometimes people forget what they say, perhaps it wasn't important enough to them...others REMEMBER it exactly because it made an impact on them...let's hear your thoughts on this subject...PLZ

BTW I'm 43 years old and not a child...

sukainah

Asked by sukainah at 10:01 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Let it roll off my back. I've been called worse, even if I'm not guilty of being or doing what they say.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 10:09 AM on May. 5, 2010

• It's hard when someone discounts or minimizes our experiences. People do this sometimes because it's uncomfortable to accept blame. I've learned to not be so easily offended by what others say.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:12 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Yes, I do need to let it go because the subject we were discussing is way more important. Problem is, I already exploded on them and yelled...I'm very angry about the whole subject..."Let go and let God" right?
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 10:24 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I dont deal with it. I laugh. I can be called a million different things by a million different ppl, including my parents, but it doesnt define ME. Im confident enough in myself not to let what other label me as, get in the way of who I am.

Besides your parent(s) were probably just angry.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:34 AM on May. 5, 2010

• It's not easy, maybe you need to put some distance between you and them for a little while, if that's possible, just to let the anger cool. Otherwise nothing good will come of it anyway.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:43 AM on May. 5, 2010

• It would never happen in my family.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:15 AM on May. 5, 2010

• sukainah, those are ur parents no matters what they do or say u still have to respect them eventhough ur 43 years old. just let it go, explain to them gently and try not to upset them.every sigle day is minus day in our lives. why would you live it angry with ur parents?!!
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 11:24 AM on May. 5, 2010

• @Imane1215 you are right, and I do respect them, and at the same time, feel I deserve respect back. And the whole arguement is surrounding my mom having Alzheimer's and she's starting to get worse and my sister and I want her to go to CA to see her mom, who is 96, so not much time for either. My dad is making just about every excuse in the book for her not to go...so it's time my sister and I step in for my mom, or else she will never go if left up to my dad...he doesn't remember me discussing this with him a year ago...perhaps he is getting a little dementia also..IDK...but you are all right...let it go, have patience...I'm not angry enough to get more angry or that I can't let go of it..I'm working on that and this post is kind of my way of working it out...it's helping
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 11:35 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Good luck :) maybe instead of making it a trip for ur mom to see her mom make it a trip for ur dad to take a vacation. I think he ll be more than happy to go to CA. just make it abt him
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 11:48 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Parent's get older. Their bodies and minds are damaged or impaired by undiagnosed illnesses and age. They can forget things that you remember and think that you MUST be lying. And the fact that we all must face is that, to our parents and no matter how old we get, we are still their little children. Their babies. She is not in her right mind if she has Alzheimers. You are expecting too much to want respect. You can try insisting that she speak to you with respect for you being an adult. But she won't remember it and it will be an uphill battle and not worth the effort it will take each time you visit. Know yourself. Know your own value. And understand that you don't really NEED her approval any more. It's the only way I could get past that mother-child attachment and impulse to obey. Be the adult.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:51 AM on May. 5, 2010