Does anyone know exactly what an EEG is?

My daughter has to have one done next month. I kinda know what it is but not exactly. I'm a little anxious and worried about it.
:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd has a seizure disorder - started when she was 1.

with my dd, her appointment was at 10am (try to get a mid day appt for your own sanity)

You will have to be able to get her to sleep - a baby its easy but a toddler...ugh.

I got her up at midnight (bedtime is 7) and kept her awake so that at 10 went in, get the electrodes put onto head (its no fun), and then let fall asleep.

the EEG will track what her brain does as she falls asleep - 30 min of sleeping - and then the waking up. with a strobe test immediately after waking.

I got to lay on the bed with her and cuddle (and sleep too) without moving the electrodes (which are pasted on with this stuff thats like a soft crayon and gauze).

it took about an hour and a half from start to finish.

It was no sweat really until I realized that I too had gotten up at midnight. lol so just prepare yourself to be exhausted - or have someone give you a
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:43 PM on May. 5, 2010

• thye will put electrodes on her head to monitor brain activity, not painful at all she'll be okay
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on May. 5, 2010

• What kind of EEG? A regular one or a QEEG which is quantitative?

I have Epilepsy, so I've had several of both. She will probably have a sleep-deprived EEG where she has to be up for 24 straight prior to the test. They will get her to the back, put some leads on her head and let her sleep for a period of time while they monitor. Then they will wake her up and perform a series of tests like making her hyperventilate, flashing strobes in front of her eyes, having her blink repeatedly, etc.

It's non-invasive and no biggie. The worst parts are staying up and then having all that crap in your hair that takes like 3 washes to get out.

GL
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 10:13 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Don't be afraid to ask the doctor and medical staff any questions you have.They should be more than happy to answer them. That might help you be less anxious.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 10:15 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Shes having an EEG, a regular one I guess, not a QEEG.
    She has been rolling her eyes into the back of her head. So they are going to be testing her for seizures.
    I wish we didn't have to wait so long. The waiting list to get in to see the neurologist is crazy.
    The first neurologist we were recommended to had a waiting list until December!!! Can you belive that?
    We are on a cancelation list so if someone cancels, they will call us. I'm hoping to get her in sooner.
    I thought seizures were a serious matter and should be found out right away.
    I don't know.
    I hope they don't make her stay up for 24 hours..she is only 14 months old! can you imagine trying to keep a 14 month old awake for that long?
    And make her hyperventilate? omgoodness...I hope not. Shes too little. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on May. 5, 2010

• feel free to message me if you want. we've done it a few times - 14 mo, 2, and then 3. we've got another booked for when she turns 4.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:44 PM on May. 5, 2010