Is faith pretending, or are you pretending to have faith?

Hebrew (new international version)
1Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. 2This is what the ancients were commended for.

Question(s)
1. Sure/Hope...How can one be sure in what they have hope for? Doesnt being sure cancel out the need for hope?
2. What ancients? (Surely not the Eygptians, lol)
3. Dont ALL ancient societies have faith in different gods/christs?

Pretending - to make(someone) believe (something) w/o proof of fact, Faith - to believe (in something/someone) for which there is no proof.

So what is the difference when it comes to religion?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 10:15 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have faith, but I'm not trying to convince anyone to believe what I believe so I don't feel I'm pretending.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:28 AM on May. 5, 2010

• could you give the full contents of this verse please. it gets rather annoying when people take a small line and use it out of on contents.

1. Sure/Hope...How can one be sure in what they have hope for? Doesnt being sure cancel out the need for hope -- I hope my daughter gets into a good college, I am sure it will happen after looking at her grades and extra curricular. I don't think one cancels out the other.

2. What ancients? (Surely not the Eygptians, lol) - I would assume are older ancestors, it is a very small word that does not really take from or give to the message

3. Dont ALL ancient societies have faith in different gods/christs? No, not ALL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Pretending is acting on something you know to be false, while faith is acting on something you know to be true. People can be easily misled on what you believe, leading to a lot of cult religions.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:20 AM on May. 5, 2010

• If you are really interested here is a link and an article that might help you and give cross references

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 5, 2010

• 1. Sure/Hope...How can one be sure in what they have hope for? Doesnt being sure cancel out the need for hope?  Truth not only trumps hope, it destroys it.  You must see and know in order to have surety.

2. What ancients? (Surely not the Eygptians, lol)  Probably the Babylonian/Mesopotamians.  Their stories and legends are the ones the Israelites appropriated--or stoled--for their bible.  Just as Christians appropriated the Jewish deity Yahweh for THEIR religion.

3. Dont ALL ancient societies have faith in different gods/christs?  Exactly!!  Societies much older than the Israelites.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:41 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I have faith because I know and God has spoken to me, I do not try to convince anyone and therefore I am not pretending but I do have faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Sure/hope - I believe you cant have hope without God. What is certain is that we grow old and die. In the bible, God gives us hope of everlasing life. Do they cancell out? IF they ever do then perhaps Ive become arrogant and too certain, then I lose humbleness in front of God.

Surlely not the egyptians - LOL Are you talking about Pharoh in the bible? That did not turn out well. Of course its author is biased....totally a joke.

All ancient societies - I dont know if this is what you are referrring to but I posted a question long ago about ancient civilizations having a need to worship something. The need to elevate something above them. The answers were great. Basically it was the need to know Why? Why were they there? How did they get here? By who?

BTW you can totally back faith up by proof. Jesus. He was not pretend. (You dont have to accept him as the Messiah but sure nuff he was/is real.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:38 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Our pastor said it best - Faith is believing that God will keep His promise to us and that promise is that He will send His Grace and Mercy to us in our time of need.

Faith is not believing that God will send us 20 bucks when we need it or do things for us because we want them done. Too many times I hear "christians" say something stupid like this (he was not healed and died because I guess you did not have enough faith in God) that was told to my niece at the age of 16, after her father died of liver cancer. That is why people loss faith in God during times of trouble cause they have faith that He will do what they want Him to do, not what is true faith.
    kittymom

Answer by kittymom at 2:09 PM on May. 5, 2010

• You must possess faith to understand faith. It is a surety that God rewards us with for asking him into our heart.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 9:06 AM on May. 7, 2010